Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Wii

Old 11-21-2006, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry, but i have to get this off my chest. i really don't like the wii. i think its another nintendo flop. i think of the wii as a later version of duck hunter. it still has the baby feel and the graphics look almost like xbox. i am a xbox fan now. mario, zelda are starting to get old sadly.... i think its only hope is that it will hold out til the next gen console comes out and they come up with a better idea. i don't want something that revolutionize gaming, ps3 has basicly the same thing as the wii but with a cool thing called the controller. i'm sticking with xbox 360 for now. i hope wii with have some good games coming up sometime.dunno.gif
Old 11-21-2006, 08:18 PM

I hear ya. I watched my friend play backyard baseball and i almost fell asleep! But you have to remember that Nintendo is not trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft for the young adult-adult crowd. They know better than that. Instead they want to be child friendly, hence the hardly any games with actual violence. This way they can stay profitable since soccer moms will want to buy a Wii for their kids instead of a a violent and child corrupting system like PS3 .....mmmmm corrupting!
Old 11-21-2006, 08:54 PM

I'm going to have to argue on this one... Nintendo has been an innovator time and time again, and the Wii is no exception. Dance Dance Revolution? the nintendo power pad. Motion activated control? the (crappy) nintendo power glove. The continually copied kart and party games? Mario Kart and Mario Party (Crash Bandicoot racing and Sonic Shuffle? Come on...).

Owning a Nintendo system guarantees a slew of good games out of the box, that will be Nintendo exclusives, because they'll be made BY Nintendo. Even if they are kid-friendly, they are genuinely good and entertaining games (usually... Luigi's Mansion doesn't count! wink1.gif )

With the Wii, they're again, breaking new ground. For once, controlling the games makes sense. We're basically a techie generation... hand any of us a game pad and we'll figure it out quickly. It doesn't make much sense logically, but we've always used it. How many times have you handed a controller to your parents and have them look at it like a red-headed-step-child? The Wii's controller makes logical sense, AND, it immerses the player into the game like never before. Anyone can pick this up and get into it... literally into it. Nintendo may have some less-than-stellar release titles, but I'll bet anything that they release titles that Sony and Microsoft will drool over.

This topic is all subject to opinion... and this is mine. You are by-all-means entitled to your own, I just felt the need to express mine.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I completely agree with you!!!! Way to go on good taste, I think that both Nintendo and Playstation have really turned into something just so lousy. I mean, we all knew computer games and PC graphics cards were making it big, it was only a matter of time before PC took over. What happened to the going to Toys R' Us days and seeing that magnificent video game system that you couldn't afford and all those sweet lovin' games in the glass window? I remember when Donkey Kong and Killer Instinct were in the store window and I remembered thinking the graphics were insane and Super Nintendo was such the shit!!! Then Nintendo 64 came out and I remember thinking it was simply Perfect, with such great remakes like Mario, MarioKart, Goldeneye, Cruisn' USA, Top Gear Rally, Beetle Adventure, Zelda 64... yep it made me so happy to look up to and when I got it I was even happier.

I remember what got me into Playstation was Battle Arena Toshinden in 6th grade, and Need For Speed III, and Destruction Derby. Final Fantasy VII was cool as hell. The overall look of the system kicked ass too, infact I had bought one after N64 because of Resident Evil. All of those systems lasted a good 6-10 years of me playing daily. I loved the systems designs and they were really something I was glad to have taking part in my life especially from 6th grade through high school.

Then GameCube came out afterward and that was not impressive whatsoever. The games for it were bad and the controls felt really robotic. Dreamcast was a blow. Playstation 2 came out and looked (and still looks) like crap, not to mention they had that same controller which also felt robotic and would not respond right away. I swear I knew things were going downhill after that ugly 80's not symmetrical looking box thing with some unnecessary empty port in the back. Next, the Xbox and 360 came out. Big deal, computer graphics and robotic controls.

I'll rather stick to the basics. I'll love to play Zelda and some of the old easy games. I regret more that the most out of the systems was not used. Nintendo 64 could play movies, I bet you didn't know that! They had a version of Resident Evil 2 and when I turned it on, the regular intro began to play. These days, sytems are looking uglier and less practical than before. I really loved those 1995-2000 years...

I always refer to this, but I was saddened in particular because this game was supposed to come out world wide in 1999 and kept getting set back from a november 1999 release date to 2000. I was SOOOOO anticipating it. It had all my favorite rally cars, including the Hyundai Coupe Formula 2 Evolution 2 and one badass realistic gameplay. I have a shorter version of it on the PC and it's by far the coolest most realistic WRC game I have played with a selection of the best cars. It was supposed to feature techno - metal music.

next thing you know, surely enough they cancelled the whole thing at 95% complete and forever scrapped the project because 1. it wouldn't have sold many units in the U.S. 2. cartrages were became dated and costly.

The Wii is a stupid name for a system, and the system itself looks like garbage. The joystick control goes back to the 80's again and looks like complete ass and I agree with the Duck Hunt comment. Personally I think it's a heap and they definitely lost their minds. On the contrary, it would make sense for any system not to up their graphics and memory. If you've seen some of the rendering and details that CAD deals with, you'd FLIP. I have to find some of the shit I've previewed. It's completely insane where videogames are going though. Imagine ultra high resolution muscle car with moving spedometer, gauges with reflections, everything that you see on a car would be included and rendered in the model of the videogame. We're in for a really big surprise in the future I can tell you that, so why not push the crap systems and crap graphics, hype them up and make some money while you still can? It only makes sense because if you've seen what I've seen, systems and developers have a LONG hard way to go.

This video will support phorq, but it's funny so check it out:
Nintendo Wii line VS. Playstation 3 line
Old 11-21-2006, 09:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The PS3 isn't getting very good reviews right now, and that's being mild. They are hoping for 400,000 units shipped to the US before January 1st.

Yup.

400,000 total. Including the launch set.

The Wii, Nintendo is trying to keep it's crowd around by playing good games from the old days and simple games for anyone to pick up. Not a bad idea, but I don't know how far it'll pan out.

I wish the best for Nintendo, but I fear they will go the route of Sega for consoles and just publish games for the systems and continue their dominance on the handheld front.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

the beautiful thing about the wii is that anyone can play it. i saw a video of a bunch of different people, from like 5-75 pick up the controller and look confused at it. then they started understanding how to use it and got into it. it was awesome. all these new consoles cannot provide that.

seriously, who cares about graphics? the best games ever created and games that people STILL to this day download as roms to play on computers are some of the most visually basic games ever created. mind blowing graphics are kinda cool, but definately not the sole reason why one is better than the other.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I care about graphics. I think the most important things in a game are the control, graphics and story. Gears of War has me so hooked that it's insane. Battlefield 2 MC, I played it on the Xbox, then got it for the 360, there is just NO comparison at all. Being able to shoot things so friggin far away that it actually takes skill, or just scouting out for your own team, stuff you couldn't do on the Xbox because of limitations in the graphics and draw distances.

There have been games with good graphics that I've hated too, don't get me wrong, but this is why I like the IDEA of the Wii. Simpler graphics with great gameplay and a new level of immersion.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:56 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Yeah I remember Sega's announcement. That totally sucks because we lost a system in the longrun and it would be nice to have more systems out there to compete against each other, not just three bigshots.

As for the wii controller, it's a square and a wire attatched to a boob.

how more early-90s can you get?! Ughhh. Flush.gif
Old 11-21-2006, 11:15 PM

Lol, If i'd buy anything from Sony, it'd be a PSP. Yeah I don't have one yet but I'd rather get a PSP than a PS3.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Eh, except the only reason to buy a PSP now is to hack it.