Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Why not to give your 16 y/o a Vette

Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Turbo Tib
Default Why not to give your 16 y/o a Vette

I dont know what these parents were thinking giving someone who's not skilled/mature a Vette and then turning him loose on a speedway. Although it was dumb, I still feel bad for the family and kid...

http://www.wpbf.com/news/23920525/detail.html
Old 06-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That sucks for everyone involved.

But yeah, a Corvette is not a good first car. I'm surprised the kid smashed into a wall on a speedway instead of wrapping it around a tree.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:53 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

Parents were dumb and lucky he didnt wreak it before. He did have it for 2 years and obviously wasnt very mature or skilled with it, he pushed the car beyond its limit before even completing the FIRST LAP.

I'm also not surprised the insurance company isnt paying for it.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

that's insane!! poor kid but hey that was a pretty dumb idea. i'm not sure how one would expect to have insurance cover a $50,000 car or kid at a race track to begin with.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:11 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

Not surprised at all that his insurance is not covering his hospital/rehab stay. Most health insurance companies wont cover injuries sustained in high risk activities (skydiving, racing, bungee jumping, etc.).
Old 06-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Read the story, people. It has nothing to do with his age, the fact that he was in a Vette, or that he was on a track. They're not paying because they say rehab won't improve his condition, against the opinion of his doctors. Once again, the insurance companies decide how to treat the patient, not the doctors. Insurance reform can't come soon enough.

I donated $10 via Paypal.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:15 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Seriously? I don't know who is dumber.

That kid is a vegie. That's what he will be for the rest of his life. He suffered TBI. No amount of medical treatment can restore a brain. He may have as much movement as a finger or two with years and years of practice. It's not worth it. He will not get better with treatment.

No healthcare reform can fix what is wrong with him. You go to a doctor for treatment. The treatment is over because there is nothing that can be done for him. Now the family is trying to raise as much money as they can from this.

Parents allowed their kid to do somethign which he was not properly trained to do. The kid should have been dead. Now he will live under full time care for the rest of his life.

This is not a cause. He is not a marder. The system is not broke. This is a simple case of he is now a vegie because his parents screwed up. He was not old enough or experienced enough to make his decisions and his parents made a bad one.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:20 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

This is a example of why there should be legalized suicide. That's the only treatment which will help. If he is alive in there, he's not able to communicate that he has crapped his pants, or that he is getting sores on his ass from sitting in his wheel chair for weeks. He will live a miserable life. He will be a burden to society for the rest of his life. If it was me I would want Doctor Jack Kevorkian there to assist me with ending my life in the most painless way possible.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

iough.gif
Old 06-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

it's a questionable issue. i trust DTN's background knowledge and experience from the Army, I mean there must be a lot of similar cases you hear and read about from war injuries. i've read about a lot. the NIH, JHU, and Walter Reed (top medical centers/military hospitals in the country) are right down the street from me.

we have been screwed by our insurance company a few times before as well, just like i8acobra said, it's the insurance company deciding, not the doctor... my Dad had to fight his way for them to cover the bill, and even when they agreed to they did not send us a refund.