Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Why My Next Car Will Likely Use Alternative Fuels

Old 08-22-2005, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1207035.cms

Just read this. Sad.

Please spread this around and consider a cleaner, more efficient car.

(Although, my Tiburon's 30 mpgs ain't too bad smile.gif )
Old 08-22-2005, 01:44 PM

wow...yea, we're going to need to find an alternative fuel eventually anyway. Oil reserves are definitely NOT endless.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:50 PM

Fuel Cells are still atleast 5 years away. Toyota and other Japs will bring Fuel Cell Hybrids first. They're like conventional hybrids except you replace the ICE with a Fuel Cell powerplant.

But before that can happen, conventional Hybrids need to sell more volume to bring the component prices lower.

What's really interesting is that my neighbor who owns a Prius saves $60-90 a month on gas when compared to my Tiburon. Imagine comparing it to a Escalade or Hummer?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:50 PM

That website is a JOKE when it comes to reporting. First they mention Forigen investing in the USA...but then they don't say where the money went if not here. They INSINUATE that they money is staying within their countries, but they don't come right out and say that. They then go on to mention the countries GDP gains. But only slightly cover the REAL reason for the GDP gain. The cost of oil has gone up, so their GDP goes up. It' has NOTHING to do with 9/11, or who's investing money where. It is crap reporting at it's finest...trying to stir up anti-arab/anti-middleast feelings for NO REASON. Please tell me others out there can see this article for what it is....

Hey, you can do what you want to do, but you might want to research it a tad more. Look at the REAL cost of alternatives fuels.

Manufactured Bio-Diesel uses more oil to produce it than conventional Diesel. In other words, it takes 1.8 gallons of diesel fuel to make 1 gallon of Bio-Diesel.

Hydrogen fuel cells require Hydrogen. The best/cheapest source of Hydrogen? Stuff that's rich in hydrocarbon compounds. In other words OIL. Fuel cell vehicles only have better emissions, they are actually WORSE than Diesel or Petrol powered cars in terms of "miles per oil used". There are other methods of producing Hydrogen, however, they use Electricity that is either coal powered, oil powered or Natural Gas powered... Not saving natural resources there.

Even E-85 Ethanol requires more oil to be used in producing the bio-crop, transporting the bio-crop, and then refineing the bio-crop into Ethanol, then transporting it to the pump than conventional GAS/DIESEL. No savings there.

The only vehicle's currently on the market that MIGHT make a dent, would be the Honda Insight, Toyota Prius or Honda Civic Hybrid. Even those vehicles, have expensive Toxic batteries, that need to be produced, and then disposed of/recycled (at an additional energy cost)....

To make a long story short, if you want the most "energy efficent" vehicle out there, get a VW Golf TDi or Beetle TDi. 50+ MPG

And before you all whip out the Bullsnark flag.... Read consumer reports. They reported this all more than a year ago.