Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.
View Poll Results: sucky pole is teh suck or not teh suck
YES
18.18%
NO
9.09%
PANDA
36.36%
NACHOS
36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

who has a college degree

Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default who has a college degree

well im TRYING to go back to college, that is, if my f*cking house ever sells

got me curious as to how many people here have a degree, what its for, and has it even helped you get further in life

kthxbai
Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I have a Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) with a double major in Accounting and Information Technology.

It is necessary for my career. I'm an Internal Auditor and work both on the financial side and information system side.

My two year plan is to achieve two certifications, CIA and CISA, and I'm trying to decide whether to go for an MBA IT (Master of Business Administration with an IT concentration). Attaining the certifications will put me on par with the rest of the job market, as they've become fairly standard, but the MBA IT concentration will enhance my marketability and hopefully I'll recover my investment within 5 years.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:45 PM

too... many...abbreviations...head....splode
Old 11-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Administrator

I'll share my wife's experience, as it may answer more questions.

She was the manager of a large call center at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Her position was eliminated in a budget reduction layoff, and she didn't have a degree. Though her employer/position didn't require a degree, when she started looking for a job with similar pay and responsibilities, many of them DID require a degree of some sort. She is 3 classes away from completing her Bachelor's degree online through the University of Alabama.

She was able to find a job without her completed degree, and it was a SIGNIFICANT increase in pay (~$13,000), but to maintain her new salary elsewhere she will definitely need a degree to stay competitive and meet minimum requirements.

My wife started answering phones at Vanderbilt, making $11/hr. 4 years ago. She's making well over double that now, and it's been through hard work, developing her skills, and being recognized as going over and above what's required.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Administrator

CIA - Certified Internal Auditor

CISA - Certified Information Systems Auditor

MBA IT - Master of Business Administration concentrated in Information Technology

B.B.A. - Bachelor of Business Administration

In my line of work, it's all about the initials after the name. I gave up on the CPA, that sh*t is hard.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:56 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

Im in college. Im double majoring in Economics and Accounting. Once I graduate I plan on going to get my MBA (Master of Business Administration) or MFE (Master of Financial Economics).
Old 11-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Administrator

^ What career path are you considering?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:16 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

I would like to work as a financial analyst or in the banking area. I would love to work for the Federal Reserve.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's funny, some of us would like to see the fed abolished . . .

To date, thank God I've had good success landing jobs with my "or equivalent experience"

When the number of hours taken up by family, work, school, and sleep started adding up to >24 I let my engineering degree slip about 1/2 way through, and I haven't picked it up again b/c we keep having kids and they don't sell additional hours in the Day Store anymore. My Darling Wife says if the upcoming career change (top sekrit) doesn't come through I should start back to school again. We'll see.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:53 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I've been in college for 7 years. A LOT of time was wasted because: I worked 3 years and couldn't keep it up, my night school was based on only 2 exams/semester so I had to pull out of classes, transferring to state University was difficult because it's overcrowded, when I transferred to state University they didn't accept a 9 credits and the process took one whole year so, most classes I've taken are a waste of time, and I travel so that gets in the way of everything... everything sort of drags along.

After all that, I really don't know what I'm doing for a career. I was going to get admitted into graphic design but decided I don't want to be some dumb spam artist. There's so much competition. Plus, Maryland is weird as hell. Every year they raise tuition, they add fees, raise standards, block your registration if you don't pay within the month, lock freshman classes in the fall, it's overcrowded as hell so they only accept very few people.

I'd like to do a double major right now to finish my Bachelor, but nothing really interests me. Everything is just boring and the jobs are not good. So it's not looking good. The one good thing is I can get a job in most fields (except for Engineering/math...etc) because the curriculum is mostly general ed. Most of the classes I have taken were a waste of time.

Interesting when compared to Europe:

In Poland and most of Europe I think the education is MUCH better. They don't waste time with bullsh*t nonsense waste of time high school sh**. Instead, you learn college-level general ed all through high school. The Bachelor degree is 3 years in a specific specialization, and Masters degree is a 5-year mastery of the specialization. There, you are only finished with school until you have a Masters degree where you are secured/guaranteed work in that field.

Also sports scholarships are illegal there so they do not have criminal athletes.

That being said, when you get your education here, be prepared to waste a lot of time with courses you will NEVER need and forget about later on.