Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.
View Poll Results: What most closely resembles your personal beliefs?
Theologic - you believe history is as stated in religious text.
0%
Scientific - you believe that things unfolded as science now believes
42.86%
A mix of theology and science - more theology
7.14%
A mix of theology and science - more science
7.14%
Neither - you don't believe either accurately represents the history of the Earth
7.14%
Only a little of science is right
14.29%
Only a little of theology is right
0%
taco
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

What are your thoughts about the history of Earth?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6
Default What are your thoughts about the history of Earth?

I was wondering what other people thought. I personally would say that I am in the "Only a little of science is right" camp.

There are a lot of things that seemingly make a strong case against any of the accepted theories. I don't claim to know the answer, but I prefer to know that I don't know than to believe something I don't think is likely.

This site is interesting for anyone who likes scientific anomalies.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Old 08-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I voted taco because it doesn't matter. That being said... A mystical being created everything, or "sh*t happens". I think "sh*t happens" is a far more reasonable explanation.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:26 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I voted taco because what you believe is faith is religion. Noone was around back then. Noone knows for sure. So the mormons have just as much of a chance as anyone else of being right in their one true faith.... Actually Muslims have the first religion as far as I know... They were around and praising their faith long before Catholics.

Then again there is a scientific explanation for the formation of the universe...

I say taco... Or Muslim.... Taco or Muslim.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Since it's so difficult to discern what really happened to create the universe and Earth, what do people think about the history of the Earth since it's formation?

Do you agree with the currently accepted scientific age of the Earth? (4.54 Billion years)
Do you agree with the timelines science has set forth for different occurances, such as the time the dinosaurs walked the Earth (ending 65 Million years ago) and the time that man has been present in his current form? (about 200,000 years)
Do you think that our current era is the only time in human history that man has been technologically advanced, or have there been societies with advanced technology beyond what is commonly accepted within the scientific community?

If you believe that the accepted view of how and when things happened according to the scientific community, how do you explain the large amounts of anomalous evidence which has been found?

Examples:
Human remains found within coal deposits estimated to be around 300 million years old.
Pottery found at the bottom of deep mine shafts.
Models resembling airplanes and spacecraft found in ancient tombs around the world.
Fossilized dinosaur tracks found alongside fossilized human tracks.
Cave paintings of dinosaurs and what appear to be people in space suits.
Advanced items discovered from antiquity, such as the Antikythera mechanism and Baghdad battery.
Amazing architectural creations using massive stones which we still cannot duplicate today.

I'm not saying that all these things are more relevant than the evidence supporting the accepted theories and tip everything on it's ear, I just look throughout written history and see how the scientific world is constantly changing and if you go back a hundred years much of what was thought to be scientific fact has now been proven wrong. I think for the most part our theories are improving, and our understanding of the world is improving, but I do still think that many of the things taught to kids today will be disproven eventually. That's partly based on historical precedence and partly on some anomalous information discovered.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

QUOTE (DTN @ Aug 2 2010, 07:26 PM)
faith is religion

your too kind but please stop warshipping me im just a man
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I voted a Mix of Theology and Science but more Theology, only because I didn't agree with, "Theologic - you believe history is as stated in religious text."

I don't believe Biblical text as explained in Genesis is meant to be taken literal. Every near-eastern theology back 1,000+ years ago had some creation story similar. I believe much of the Bible is widely understood to be pastoral teachings or written in Jewish literature where numbers, poetry, symmetry have meaning. Such as the numbers 3, 7, and 12.

I believe in the Bible. I'm a Christian. I don't agree with much of the modern day church's teachings, and I don't think they're Biblically proper. But as far as the creation of the Earth, I wouldn't rule out the Big Bang... but the creation of creatures? I think the human body is too damn complicated to have been 'thrown together' and work like that. Consider the many intricate parts of the human eye, like the mirror image projecting so we see things normally. I do believe in micro-evolution, just not apes turning into humans.

I've also read a lot about the possible inaccuracies of carbon dating, and I view that as something one has to have 'faith' in rather than scientific. We can't test anything to KNOW how long it's been around - it's mostly theory with restricted testing available to us for items we know to be a few hundred (maybe even a thousand) years old.

And I still think the aliens from Independence Day created the pyramids just to f*ck with modern day man, who will for centuries try to comprehend how it happened.