Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

What is your nightstand gun?

Old 11-08-2012, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Originally Posted by WytchDctr
Also its not an AK. AK = Terrorist.
AK is my next weapon after my shotgun then ill stock up on handguns. I'm no terrorist!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

I find people's fascination with guns hilarious. I have personally never felt the need or desire to own a gun. All the more power to ya if you like guns, but I just don't get it.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

have you ever even fired one?

you fear what you dont understand

its no different than wearing your seatbelt, one doesnt plan on having to need it, but its nice to have when you do
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by FAILofadragon
its no different than wearing your seatbelt, one doesnt plan on having to need it, but its nice to have when you do
Anyone who's been present for a break-in knows this well.

Not that I'm terribly worried about it in my neighborhood, but in an NY/NJ situation I'd like to see looters try to enter. Better safe than sorry, I like to keep my family as protected as possible.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Originally Posted by Tibbi
I like to keep my family as protected as possible.
Owning a firearm is the greatest form of protection for one's self and family. Not to mention they're cool and fun to shoot.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:48 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

^^^ Actually, did you know that you are more likely to shoot a member or your own family by accident then shoot a burglar protecting your own home.........

I have nothing against guns, I've fired a shot gun many times before (I worked on a farm growing up). I have family that hunt deer and moose every year as well. There are many uses for guns, but I don't see the need to have one in my home, that's just an accident waiting to happen.

Anyone remember the part in Bowling for Columbine when Micheal Moore went door to door in Canada and half the doors he went to were unlocked and he walked right into the house?? That is seriously what it's like living in Canada. I have never felt scared or threatened where I live, and if I did, I think I would want to move. If you feel that way in your home town, I feel sorry for you.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM

the fact that you watched a michael moore movie sez everything that i need to know bout you and your opinion
Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"you are more likely to shoot a family member" is a headline you might find on such in-depth analysis/news sites as Yahoo! News. Dig a little deeper and it is easy to see you should be more careful getting out of the shower or driving to work, and worry less about the danger of having a gun at home.

From CDC.gov:

Motor vehicle traffic deaths: 34,485 = 11.2 per 100,000 population

ALL firearm deaths: 31,347 = 10.2 per 100,000 population

so right off the bat, it is more dangerous to go to work and back every day than it is to be within a gunshot-range radius of a gun.

again from the CDC:

in 2009 (the year this report discusses)

2.4 million deaths (out of 300-odd million so your odds are pretty good)

15 leading causes of death are all disease, except suicide which was #10

Number of deaths, all ages, from accidental discharge of firearms: 554

The next line up the chart is 24,792 from "falls"

The next line down the chart is 3,517 from accidental drowning and submersion

18,735 "intentional self-harm (suicide) by discharge of firearms"

11,493 "assault (homicide) by discharge of firearms"

Arthur Kellerman found there were 1.3 times as many accidental firearm-related deaths in the home where a gun was kept as self-protection shootings. This SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED NON-FATAL SHOOTINGS as well as the times when all a homeowner had to do was brandish a weapon to scare away a burglar. This sort of finding gets headline writers excited.

But read further and you'll see

...Kellermann was criticized for not reporting what fraction of homicides in his sample were committed with guns kept in the victim's home.[11] If few homicides were committed with such guns, it would be unlikely that it was home gun ownership itself that caused an elevated risk of being murdered.

Suspicion was also aroused by the fact that Kellermann did not release his data immediately upon publication. ...

After publishing additional analyses, Kellermann released the dataset to the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research, the world’s largest archive for social science research [2]. ICPSR released the data for public access on May 30, 1997 [3]

This was, however, only a truncated version of Kellermann’s full dataset, since it omitted his crucial data on whether guns used in the firearm homicides he studied belonged to anyone in the victim’s household,[12] a critical issue in judging the plausibility of his conclusion that owning a gun caused an increased risk of being murdered. This information had clearly been gathered by Kellermann since it was used in another of his studies.[13] Once this information was taken into account, it was found that the effect of household gun ownership on the risk of homicide could not have been more than 6% of the effect that was estimated by Kellermann.[14]

then you realize the people who are afraid of guns because they are afraid of guns, are impenatrable to logic. You have to take an "anti" shooting in a private setting and wait for the :biggrin: which inevitably comes to the face of a first-time shooter in a good situation like a shooting class or plinking with a .38.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:44 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Stocker, you're right that they didn't include whose gun did the shooting - but does it matter though? If you're on the fence about this, you can:

-perform no action and have a regular chance of death

-have a gun in the house and have 1.3x a chance of death

Which might be why it was left out of the statistic. Shot is shot, dun matter who shot it. However,

times when all a homeowner had to do was brandish a weapon to scare away a burglar.

Is also very valid, I agree that this is a good thing.

Furthermore, we have to figure out whether the increased risk of death is caused by having a gun in the house; or whether someone living in a risky neighbourhood or selling coke will have a gun in the house for protection. If you have 1.3x as many gun-wielding burglars coming through your house, then you will have a 1.3x risk of accidental shooting death.

So I don't know about your stats man. They could be twisted either way really. My parents' answer to this was to have replica guns in the nightstand, they had a fake .38 revolver and a fake beretta iirc.

I have access to no such things, so I really do keep a fire extinguisher in my room for defence. That means no possible entrapment charge, plus no accidental death concerns, plus it's just handy to have around.