Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

What Should The Goverment Do About Drugs?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Continuation of the Shoutbox madness! nana.gif

Questions:
#1 - Should the Governement lower the drinking age to 18? What about a lower drinking age for the military? Why or why not?

#2 - Should the Government legalize Marijuana and tax it to help get us out of this depression? Why or why not?

My answers:

I preface this with the fact that I neither drink nor smoke and never have or will. I see them solely as vises but I agree with the idea of freedom of choice. The government has no right to legislate acts that people enjoy that don't harm others. example: I think you should have the right to smoke, I however think the law to ban smoking from restaurants is the best thing the government has done this century.

#1 - Why is it 21? Just because MADD thought it was a good idea? Seriously you can vote, go to war, sign a binding contract, be tried as an adult, smoke, etc. but can't drink? Seriously that makes as much sense as liking honda's. wink1.gif

http://whitmanpioneer.com/news/2008/09/18/...king-age-to-18/

#2 - Yes, how is it any different than smoking, while there at it just legalize all those other recreational drugs. Then wal-mart can sell them and all the drug dealers will have to get real jobs not to mention an enormous strain will be lifted from our police force. Sure DUI will still be a problem but check this out. Imagine that money/effort going to something useful like cancer research, jobs, etc.

-It'll also help good ol KY! - http://www.drugscience.org/Archive/bcr2/domstprod.html not to bad for TN either majik wink1.gif
Old 04-02-2009, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Another discussion point was to lower drinking age for people in the military.

Also, I dont believe it will ever be 18. 19, maybe but it will stay out of high school age anyway.

Guys, if this gets out of hand it will be locked and warnings will be given out. Only warning. Keep it civil and lets get a good discussion going.
Also, follow site rules regarding talk of drug use and similar things.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:55 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

As someone who comes from a place where you start drinking and doing stupid stuff in the 9th-10th grade and you outgrow it by 11-12th, I will say this, there's nothing more pathetic about a grown MAN at 21 excited he can finally get shitfaced lol

Also, consider that everybody who is 18 has ALL the responsibilities of a regular citizen, yet not the same "privileges" for another 3 years... that is ridiculous IMO
Old 04-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

- The drinking age should not be lowered for a member of the military. I propose the opposite, that we raise the age limit for the military.
There are several studies that have been conducted showing the brain isn't fully developed until approximately 25 years of age. Not only can alcohol damage brain cells, but it can prevent the brain from fully developing.

- I don't believe cigarettes have a purpose for being legal, but as we've seen with prohibition, once it's legal it's too late.
Both cigarettes and marijuana should be illegal. Pulling marijuana off the streets will cause more (dangers) drugs to populate the scene and become the new big thing. Kids are going to desire what's illegal and out of reach - replacing marijuana with cocaine, meth, or any of these new "candy" pills will just make things worse.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I swear, if this thread turns into a shit fest like the shout box did, 1 week vacation for ALL involved. Be smart, be mature, avoid conflict and don't attack the person, attack the problem.

Okay now to the point.

Sure, legalize the drinking age to 19, not 18. It's 19 here in Canada, and we're all normal. laugh.gif Plus, I live right next to Detroits border, and hundreds of young americans come over to our bars. Why not? It's legal.

As for marijuana, I agree with Majik, and will leave it at that.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 PM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

Well, here in Alberta, the legal drinking age is 18. I don't see anything different then someone that's 19 other than they should be out of school by then.

As for the marijuana question, from what I have followed in our Canadian view of American politics, that is not going to happen anytime soon. The main decision-makers in congress have given me the impression that they would rather watch the country fall off the globe in terms of an economic standpoint then legalize marijuana for non-medicinal use(Even though most of them probably smoked it when they were teens.), let alone for a source of income from taxation.

I personally don't think that in the current state of depression, one should be turning to mind altering drugs for escape. There are better things to spend money on then drugs, I think....

Like our Tibbys!!

Oooohhhhh yeah, and our g/f's.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18 in my opinion. I am with DTN on this one. I know alot of young guys get blasted, and tanked, and do stupid crap, and even get killed when they drink. But, they go to war, and then come back, and want to have some social drinks with a couple of army buds, they can't. Of course, alot of people will argue my point, as I am sure this thread will continue to show.

As far as legalizing weed, I think it is a mind altering "drug" like alcohol, and alcohol in general is not illegal. I don't truly understand why they wouldn't both be legal. I think the government could take in some healthy revenue from taxing marijuana, I see why it's illegal in some points, but lean both ways really as seeing this legalized. I am done using different forms of the word legal in this paragraph(6).

Also, I would bet my left nut that warnings will be issued, there will be personal attacks, and this thread will get locked before you know it....But, we shall see.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

What should the government due about drugs? I think the G20 should smoke out. Maybe there'd be a little less war.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:01 AM

Booze from 21 seems too high.
You know when you tell a kid not to do something he will want to do it more.
So if you let them drink from 18 it would make more sense since you are an adult at 18.

Smoking Weed is not a big deal..

But on the real my gf gives me shit day and night about it.
I would rather not legalise it as i dont see it being a good thing if the population smoke weed and then forget what they were supposed to be doing.
It relaxes too much...
Not a good thing to legalise...
Old 04-03-2009, 01:49 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I think they should lower the drinking age to 18. The majority of other countries in the world have lower drinking ages than the U.S. and there is no more problems there, because of it.

As for marijuana, I think it should be legalized. Mainly because of the fact that alcohol is legal. The way I see it alcohol causes a TON more deaths than marijuana does, so what's the big deal? And obviously it would make a Sh*t ton of money too. (would suck for the people who do smoke it though because it would become a lot more expensive). You want to see why marijuana really is illegal, read this:

http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/200...anaIllegal.html

@ daneeboy people don't normally drink on the job, what makes you think people would smoke on the job any more than they would drink??

I definitely don't think this is the way to prevent drug use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3NVWJcQ0So...63&index=19
I've never done nor will I ever do any of that if I'm high, and the fact they put out ads like this just pisses me off more when I see them.

Weed, alcohol, it's all good in MODERATION. I think the U.S. needs to relax and loosen up a bit, sadly I don't think it(lowering drinking age/marijuana legalization), will happen in the near future and maybe not even in my lifetime. We all know what the real killer here in the U.S. is anyway......

OBESITY!