Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

what do you think of this music

Old 02-26-2003, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tiburon GT
Default what do you think of this music

This is our band Pawn (www.pawnmusic.com), we just started to write music for the hell of it. We weren't planning on making this a career or anything, but it just so happened that we are now playing a gig.
The songs were recorded and mixed by a student, so don't expect the best mixes, but it was free, so why not!

Just give your honest opinion, and if you think it really sucks *** , tell us why! And if you think we are somewhat good, tell us what is good about it. Thanks, and look for us to play March 28th at Jarrod's Place in Attleboro, MA

http://www.pawnmusic.com/mp3
Old 02-26-2003, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Zup dude. I only had time to listen to "Give," but here's some suggestions. I work as a producer and board operator in recording studio for my full time job, so if you have any questions about what I write here, feel free to email me and I'll help you out. Ok, on to the critique:

Sound
- From the little bit that I heard, it sounds like the reverb and echo needs to be turned down, or just completely cut out. You can hear some feedback, as if the sound is bouncing off of something.

- You need to adjust your levels also. The snare and cymbols are overpowering and the vocals just a tad bit. Turn down each of the drum levels about a 1/4 way, and you should be good to go.

- Turn the monitors up a tad also, and I don't know if you used "pop"screens or wind foams, but throw some on the mics the next time you record in the studio. It'll help take out some of that "high treble sound."

- If the studio has access to a digital limiter and gate, turn the EQ settings up about half way. Should clear up alot of the sound pretty well.

Overall Song

- The riff's are a little basic, and they're little ongoing. Try and change up the drum riffs a little so that it's not the same beat going on and on. As for the lead guitar, it's sounds pretty good, however, you might want to add a couple of additional notes in with the current riff.

Other than that, it doesn't sound too bad. I'll listen to the other 2 songs later tonight. If you have any other questions, send me a shout. Josh@teamsr.org I know you said oyu had a friend mix the songs for you, and it was free. So in that case, for it being free, it was done pretty well. Good luck at your show too. Is it your first one?
Old 02-26-2003, 06:05 AM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

"Give" didn't do much for me, but the other two were good. I kept thinking I heard some metallica influence but then I wasn't sure. I'm hardly an expert on music.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:11 AM

yeah its our first show, and the levels are off but it was a student mixing it, so its good, we got the gig cause the singers brother is in a band and thought it sounded good so he asked us to play. i agree with the drums, im playing them because i was the only in our group of friends with the money to buy them. but i do think i need to change them up. any other opinions are welcome and appreciated
Old 02-26-2003, 07:57 AM

is jarrod's place on route one in attleboro...and that would be south of the emerald square mall, right?
Old 02-26-2003, 11:55 AM

yup thats the one, ive never been ther but i know its in attleboro