Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

What Do You Guys Think?

Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

I am looking for a cheap laptop for the car for tuning and data logging purposes. I will be going turbo very soon and need a laptop I'm not afraid to take out to the car and worry about dropping lol.

Basically I came across an add from a member on another forum I frequent and he is selling an older tablet pc for $250.

Basically this is the unit:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...=reg_R1002_USEN

This was his posting for the most part:

I've got a spare TC4200 tablet that I'm wanting to get rid of.

Tablet Specs:
Processor: 1.86 Pentium M 750
Memory: 1GB PC4200 DDR2 (2sticks 512)
Hard Drive: 60GB IDE (Fujitsu MHT2060AH)
Graphics: Intel 915GM (1024/768 max res) - 32MB
Screen: 12.1" w/digitizer for tablet function (must use pen, not touch) (pen included)
WiFi: Intel Pro 2200BG
NIC: Broadcom Gigabit
Bluetooth / IR / 56K modem
PCMCIA
SD Card reader
SoundMax audio with mic in screen
3 USB ports
VGA/S-Vid out
Trackpoint and Touchpad along with full keyboard
*will also include AC adapter and 6cell battery that DOES! hold it's charge, and you could get over 3hrs life

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... R1002_USEN

I did recover this unit from multiple others, so it is not perfect, and there are small scratches/bruises, but I grabbed the best of the best I could. This unit did have a spill which had rendered it unusable from a previous tech, and we could not have cleaned/repaired and still used for warranty purposes later.
I have had this unit running for nearly a week with no issues booting, shutting down or using any features (other than the keyboard which I'll be replacing soon.

The unit comes with a fresh load of Windows Tablet 2005 fully updated with AVG antivirus, and I will also include a copy of the recovery CDs. There is a Windows license key on the bottom to make it valid. The system serial number has been removed from the unit and does not carry any mfg warranty. If however some should break/fail, let me know and I'll see what I can do, but in no way will guarantee it's lifespan.

Missing 1 piece of plastic (rear hinge cover) - I'm trying to find one easily, that's not broken
Has some custom molded screen alignment pins (to hold the screen in place while closed) - The screen has a central pivoting hinge along with a central latch and thus these pins are necessary to keep the laptop in the closed position.

So what do you guys think? is it worth it or should I add $50 and get a brand new 8.1" laptop from bestbuy lol. I admit the tablet feature is the only real thing making me think about this one. And I don't have pictures yet. Have asked for them because I'm curious about the "custom" pins.

Edit--> after reading the thread again and looking at the 8.9" laptops at bestbuy. I am better off getting a brand new one from bestbuy. But still, what would you guys do for a laptop that will mainly be for tuning. Of course I will probably use it to surf the net when I'm bored. but with a 8.9" screen that's about all it's going to be good for.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

My laptop is only a 1 ghz dell c610 and works fine for the OBD2 sensor interface and can be had for pretty cheap. If you just want to run tuning software and maybe surf the net then you do not need cutting edge. Plus with the c610 if you drop it or break something there is a good amount of spare parts from e-bay.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

I have a Panasonic Toughbook and it's awesome for doing car stuff. It's touchscreen, very rugged; getting stepped on and banged on is not a problem not to mention getting wet and dirty. It's got a built in handle so it can be carried easy and quick with one hand if you leave you car.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

For tuning purposes. get whatever laptop has a hard serial connection. DO NOT USE A USB TO SERIAL ADAPTER! ESPECIALLY if you will be upgrading firmware. There is a good chance you will fry your EMS and/or get corrupted files, firmware, and maps. If you go with a laptop that does not have a hard wired serial connection, then use a PCMIA serial card. Still not as reliable as a laptop with a hard wired serial connection, but its the next best thing.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You don't need alot of speed for OBD-II. You really just need a laptop.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:50 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I agree tough books are nice and rugged but whats the price? I also found the older tough books while heavier seem to be more rugged then today's models. The place i work they have a few cf-74's, i remember tough books having metal cases and almost briefcase weight that you could drop down stairs. The new ones not so much.

While its always preferable to have the native connection your going to use tibbytib, have you experince mass problems with serial to usb adaptions?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

tibbytib: Thanls for your concern but I will be using the aem fic which is supplied with a usb cord anyways ;P

DTN: why would I tune from the obd port.......
Old 03-16-2009, 03:14 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

because tuning comes in many different forms. I guess you must be talking about some sort of EMS.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:26 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

^ v
QUOTE (dddude55 @ Mar 16 2009, 02:22 AM)
I will be using the aem fic

OBD-2 is mainly read-only, except reseting codes (unless you have secretly figured out how to reflash the tib's ECU through obd-2)
Old 03-16-2009, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (tibbytib @ Mar 14 2009, 02:21 AM)
For tuning purposes. get whatever laptop has a hard serial connection. DO NOT USE A USB TO SERIAL ADAPTER! ESPECIALLY if you will be upgrading firmware. There is a good chance you will fry your EMS and/or get corrupted files, firmware, and maps. If you go with a laptop that does not have a hard wired serial connection, then use a PCMIA serial card. Still not as reliable as a laptop with a hard wired serial connection, but its the next best thing.

I haven't had any issue using my adapter, I got one at radioshack that seems to do really well, there are some up close to 100 that are supposed to do a better job. Can't remember the company name now though.

btw, at that price, for a working unit I'd say thats a steal.