Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Web Scripting Class Project

Old 10-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Argh.. I hate notepad. I'm used to using Dreamweaver or (gasp) even FrontPage... typing all of the code yourself is just too time consuming, unless you need to nit-pick stuff. There's nothing wrong with using Dreamweaver to just point and cilck to insert a picture or hyperlink. You can clean the code up later if it's a big deal...

So my "Web Design and Scripting" class here at Trevecca Nazrene University required us to make a web site, with 4-5 pages. It had to be entirely encoded using NOTEPAD, couldn't contain any CSS or Javascript, and had to be viewable on an 800x600 without horizontal scrolling. Pretty picky requirements in my opinion. I spent about 3 weeks on this page, just messing around with ideas and stuff, maybe 1-2 hours a day. The rest of the class barely has a layout with working links... the project isn't due for another 2 weeks. This class SERIOUSLY needs a "Computer 101" pre-requisite. Nobody in here knows the difference between [img][/img]http://students.trevecca.edu/bssanders/XML/project1/

Well, here it is. Comments? Gripes? Considerations? (notice the subtle FlyRyde plugs) wink1.gif
Old 10-04-2006, 12:31 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Ever heard of CoffeeCup? They have a great HTML editor with a non-GUI portion. Nobody would know the difference if it was done in notepad or not. IMO, coding in notepad is pointless. If you know HTML, you can create a better webpage with a visual editor and then clean up the code later (although, dreamweaver can get very annoying). Coding in notepad sucks because it is just hard to read and follow, at least if you use an editor (even dreamweaver has a non-visual portion) the text is formatted and things are colored and stuff to make it easier to edit.
If you sent me those pics I could do a better flash for you instead of using YouRock! lmao.gif

The page is pretty good being that it was done 100% in notepad. But why are you using frames??? ewww
Old 10-04-2006, 12:31 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

I like it. Can you make it so that when you click a picture, it opens in a new window that cannot be resized and is the size of the picture? 'cause now it pops up a whole new page that takes up the entire screen.
looks good either way though.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Administrator

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Oct 4 2006, 01:31 PM)
Ever heard of CoffeeCup? They have a great HTML editor with a non-GUI portion. Nobody would know the difference if it was done in notepad or not. IMO, coding in notepad is pointless. If you know HTML, you can create a better webpage with a visual editor and then clean up the code later (although, dreamweaver can get very annoying). Coding in notepad sucks because it is just hard to read and follow, at least if you use an editor (even dreamweaver has a non-visual portion) the text is formatted and things are colored and stuff to make it easier to edit.
If you sent me those pics I could do a better flash for you instead of using YouRock! lmao.gif

The page is pretty good being that it was done 100% in notepad. But why are you using frames??? ewww

I ONLY used frames for the Pictures page (iFrames, which aren't nearly as bad as regular frames). Plus, it was just to showoff that I could do it.

I used NotePad and TextPad (TextPad you have to pay for, but campus provides it for free. I also use it for compiling Java and other programming languages. I'll look into CoffeeCup, but it's probably similar to TextPad)

QUOTE (funkypc @ Oct 4 2006, 01:31 PM)
I like it. Can you make it so that when you click a picture, it opens in a new window that cannot be resized and is the size of the picture? 'cause now it pops up a whole new page that takes up the entire screen.
looks good either way though.

I could, but I would have to use JavaScript to do it. JavaScript wasn't allowed for this (although I got an exception for the NavBar). It was supposed to be a strictly HTML project.

I used JavaScript for the navigation bar, and CSS for the scroll bar colors, but since those are so minor he allowed them. Good point tho funkypc
Old 10-04-2006, 01:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

looks great for a notepad only page! Only thing I notice is that the menu bar (your car) moves to the right on the contact link.

...apparently it only does that in firefox.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:09 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

NOPI Nationals9/18/06Atlanta, GAN/A5,500+

NOPI Nationals9/15/06Atlanta, GATBDTBD

WTF?!?!? you were there?!??! Was that your car with a rim sitting in front of it? OMG... dude... why the hell didn't you say something?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Hey newb that ain't an Ixion kit.
This is a 2000 Tiburon with the Ixion body kit. Features carbon fiber hood and silver paint with orange flake and Z3 Fender inserts.

joke.gif
And where the naked chicks. Every great website has naked chicks nana.gif
Old 10-04-2006, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Ya I thought Phorg had the CUDA 1 kit not the IXION. And also, isnt this forum dedicated to the 1997-2001 tiburon not 1999. Look at your links.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Administrator

argh... gosh people, lay off lol

yes, I realize he has the Cuda... I don't know what I was thinking on that one. They both have those over sized fog lights. rolleyes.gif

Did I really put 99-01? I'll have to look at that. I can't imagine making THAT mistake.
(ugh, I checked it... I did make that mistake... I really don't know how though, because I actually meant to put 1996-2001.. maybe I hit the 9 instead of 6 on the side keypad)

And no DTN.... I've been at NOPI Nats the last 3 years, EXCEPT this year. Those are old pictures I took and some came from the NOPI website. I was not there this year

As for the CUDA and Ixion... I've always thought they were nearly identical. I just analyzed the two... the only difference is slight design look on the center, and the position of the dual vents (one is on left of fogs, the other is on right). It's the same body kit with minor differences. I've also never seen either in person...

Old 10-04-2006, 10:40 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

WTF kind of class won't let you use java or CSS? how lame..