Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

We should adopt the Constitution of the Confederate States of America.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib - REVISION A
Default We should adopt the Constitution of the Confederate States of America.

Constitution of the Confederacy severely limited the national government.

The "general welfare" clause was omitted and replaced with "carry on the Government of the Confederate States."

It forbade protectionism.

It forbade Congress from appropriating money "for any internal improvement intended to facilitate commerce" (which is a direct attack on earmarks)

Line-item vetoes were allowed: "The President may approve any appropriation and disapprove any other appropriation in the same bill."

The President also could only serve one term.

The list goes on.

bowdown.gif

A couple of things with which I disagree, however (there might be more, but these are the only two that stood out to me):

- It expressly allowed slavery in every state, leaving each state in charge of whether slavery would be legal. (It did, however, make the importation of slaves illegal, something that was not done in the US Constitution.) I think it should have completely outlawed slavery at a federal level.

- It only protected the right of militias to keep and bear arms.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Great, another political post...

Basically, you want a constitution that says "Hooray for me and f*ck everybody else". That's great. Next topic.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Perhaps you would like one that states, "Don't work too hard so we can give you somebody elses money" ??
Old 01-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

there are so many different types and walks of people here with all kinds of interests (or lack thereof rather) i'm not sure that i would trust the general welfare to limit government authority that much. there are so many crazy folk out there it's not possible.

but it's interesting what would have happened. things go sour without strict government. it's happened in Poland, Bosnia, Yugoslavia... on the other hand, if the Government has too much power it can equally be destructive.

my conclusion is that if you're not getting paid to influence these types of decisions, stay clear of them and try to better yourself by isolating yourself. i know that i will move somewhere near some woods for some peace and quiet where nobody can disturb me and enjoy the beautiful nature (haha sort of like Wilson from Home Improvement).
Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Go buy some land and the government will tax it - annually.
Build a home on that land with your own two hands, and the government will tax that - annually.

You can live in the middle of nowhere, be completely self sufficient, and the government will ask for it's "fair share" so it can redistribute.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Re-vo-lution time. floyd.gif
Old 01-18-2010, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 02 accent

Old 01-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

QUOTE (majikTib @ Jan 18 2010, 12:58 PM)
You can live in the middle of nowhere, be completely self sufficient, and the government will ask for it's "fair share" so it can redistribute.

So, we should go back to "fiefdoms", where the wealthy control everything and we, the serfs, work for them?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Administrator

lol.... you don't think we do that already?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

QUOTE (majikTib @ Jan 18 2010, 09:58 PM)
Go buy some land and the government will tax it - annually.

Woot, I can officially say I am in that boat now. Wytch became a land owner for the first time last friday. Already, I can see the fun with the gov. (local). The appraiser I sent to the house I bought said 133k, the appraiser for the seller was about the same. The appraiser for the county put it at 145k. I am worried once I repaint it / fix up some stuff outside they will go even higher. It wouldn't bother me if I could use that over estimate when I sell it later, instead of just getting taxed on it. I need to look into having them base it off the other two appraisals.

On that note however, I will go head and take advantage of the ridiculous credit. I don't agree with it, but I am not to proud to take it and plus up my savings/retirement ... and maybe add a bottle to the elantra. Nitrous injected hyundai brought to you by... the tax payer. wtf. Wrong yes I know.. sorry.