Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

we have really bad sheetmetal

Old 06-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default we have really bad sheetmetal

It's no wonder how crappy our sheetmetal is on our cars compared to others. This goes for the new models as well. There was a Elantra parked next to an Jetta at the junkyard. I literally grabbed the trunk hatch and effortlessly bent it from its hinges, whereas I couldn't do so on the Jetta. Another time, I took a wiper motor out of a door by bending the door panel open with my own two hands! Every time I see a Hyundai/Kia on the road, the body panels are always twisted up. All of the body parts on all Hyundais are so cheap, compared to the hard ones on other cars, it sometimes it scares me...
Old 06-25-2010, 03:31 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ahhh.. Classic HKC post.

Hyundai concentrates its energy on the funtionality. It's the tuners job to concentrate on the body.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Yeah...they do tend to crumple a little easier than most cars...but thats what you get when you buy a cheaper car. Im pretty sure alot of the new Hyundai's have much better craftsmenship and have thicker metal....considering Hyundai is getting better and better with their quality. smile.gif
Old 06-25-2010, 04:00 PM

i really hope so, because we live in a pretty harsh area for cars. i found the Azera to be just as cheap. i'll have to find a really new Hyundai next time. i know that they have top rankings on IIHS, and believe that as long as metal has good crumple zones it doesn't matter, but it still doesn't stop me from understanding why others think these cars are "half" of a car when i have to warn them against leaning on my car hahah.

the thing is if you buy a Hyundai for a few thousand cheaper, then what good would that be if it's easily dented. my buddies G35 Coupe is hard as a rock.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Look at the cost of a G35 to a Tiburon. There's your reason! If the G35 was just as inexpensive, the sheet metal would be the same way.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 PM

for a new one, a few thousand dollars difference, just a little overtime but it's better than explaining that a hungry black male squirrel dropped its nuts on your car one afternoon in November of 2005! there are other, better cars just as cheap like an R32. jus sayin'

you guys had it coming. patpat.gif
Old 06-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I own and have owned a lot of cars, and the Accent is the easiest to dent of any of them. The Tib however has quite strong sheetmetal. I've also repaired some dents on other Hyundais, and with the exception of Accents they've all been pretty sturdy.

Sheet metal is a structural crumple zone on modern cars. It's not supposed to be tank like, and if it was you would hate having all that force transfer into you in a crash. You could build cars that would survive 50mph head on crashes without taking damage, but all that force would be transferred to the occupants instead of deformed steel.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:55 PM

maybe i'm just hercules with man hands wink.gif haha. i think you are completely right. i think a cushy impact is a lot better than a snap, and we have always had top safety standards. i'll have to test drive a genesis coupe one of these days smile.gif the crash test videos look great. i'll have to feel the body and see if it's any different from earlier models.

...and ad DTN suggests, those nut holes on my hood can be replaced with some carbon fiber. do you guys know any good place to get a good-fitting OEM style carbon fiber hood?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

dude my firend's stepdad has a G35 and it's dented to hell. he's slammed so many things into the side of it and closed the garage door on it, curb rash on the rims etc. you want to break a car, you can do it.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:59 AM

hahah i believe it. our Hyundais are not too far off, and it's apparent where the corners are cut, but i'm asking is it really all worth it?

for example, i mentioned the trunks being cheap. the hinge design on the Genesis, Genesis Coupe and Sonata is so crappy. Especially the sedan where luxury is key.

The cheapest Elantra Wagon and Tiburons all have trunk struts! It's not that much more expensive. How hard would it be to at least put one in their top end model?

Genesis:

The trunk is something you use multiple times per day. Why would they cheap out on something like this? That is what crap I'm talking about, and what I believe prevents people from admiring Hyundais.

Genesis Coupe (Same in Genesis Sedan)

G37 Coupe:

Would it be all that more expensive for Hyundai to at least upgrade this? Other cars that use this same exact design are: Audi, Mazda, Volkswagen, Cadillac! For chrissake a Jetta.