Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Wardriving: Anyone here do it?

Old 12-26-2003, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I was just wondering if anyone here wardrives? I do. In case you do not know what it is, http://www.wardrivingcentral.org.

wardriving is the benign act of locating and logging wireless access points while in motion.

wardriving has nothing to do with stealing, borrowing, using unauthorized access points and/or their connections for any reason.

wardriving has nothing to do with using chalk, paint, or blood to write magical symbols in hopes of communicating with other wardrivers
Old 12-26-2003, 07:00 PM

Interesting stuff... Not my idea of a hobby though. Maybe twenty years ago when I WAS hacking..
Old 12-26-2003, 07:27 PM

I think it is interesting just finding out how many people actually have networks. Back when I was a kid it was rare to find someone else with a computer. Now there are at least 20 networks in my neighborhood.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:02 AM

I have a network.. but a friend of mine who does computers warned me away from wireless just because of reasons like that... so mine is all wired.. after a bit o work, you can't even tell the wires are there.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:58 AM

That's the same as wireless. If you know what you are doing you can make it almost invisible, where no one will be able to pick up on it. But, with MAC address filtering, WEP, and turning off broadcast SSID, it is more secure than people think. Alot more convenient too! laugh.gif