Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Wanted: some Good Advice

Old 11-26-2002, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default Wanted: some Good Advice

I absolutely don't know what to do now.
My sister works for a local car dealership, and she's been trying to 'get me out of' my Tib. Although I love the car( no major problems), it's now got 102,000 miles (yr n half old). I'm quitting my job on Dec 31, and eliminating all those driving miles.
She's found a perfect (used) car for me, although I really would prefer a Mustang, she found a Trans Am. 1999, Blue, T-tops, leather, Auto, V8, 350, 5.7 Liter, ...310 Horses (damn fast!)!!! Only bad thing is the 60,000 miles on it.
I'm not high on the Pontiac name, but.. how long should my HYUNDAI last me? Can anyone give me a solid answer? I figure the V8 Trans Am should go 160,000 easy... right?!
I'm not giving my Tib to the dealership, I'll just sell it myself. They said mine would wholesale for $1000. Hell.. I still owe $5000. Anyway.......
Suggestions?? Please!!
Old 11-27-2002, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Just based on my personal preference, I would keep the Tib.
I am not a big fan of GM products as I find their quality control to be substandard, whilst I think Hyundai is doing a good job at building good cars.
My Accent has 115,000 miles on it and it still runs like a much newer car.
If you have been taking good care of your Tib (which I believe you have from reading your past posts) it should provide you with many more miles of reliable driving.
Especially since you say you are leaving your "high-mileage" job, you won't need your car as much, so even if it yours is a little older, it probably won't be as much of an issue as if you were staying in your current job.
I'd stick with the Tib for a while longer, at least until it's paid off, and then start looking.

That's just my opinion and take on the situation.

As a note, any car can last a long time if it's taken care of well. You just have to expect to have to replace things more often as the car ages.
If you would rather avoid that, then by all means, get a newer car.
It's a personal decision... some people like the security that a low-mileage car can provide. Others (like me) have faith in their older cars and are willing to put up with the little quirks that happen as a car ages.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I would put more faith in the tibby reaching 150 or 200K miles than I would in the Trans Am reaching 100.

The 5.7L is not know for it's long life. Good power, yeah, no question about it, long life, no.

If you are in lust/love with the TA...go for it. Just keep an extra $500 around for repairs. That's good advice with ANY engine that's getting old.