Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Vinyl Plotters / Experience?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I purchased a vinyl plotter the other day and I was wondering if any one on here has or has experience with one and what some of the variations with software are. I have some experience with 2 programs but I didnt catch the title with either but they both seemed similar and easy to use.

I know all of the basic tools like Squeegee's, application tape, all sorts of blades, spray bottles, exacto knifes and of couse vinyl... anything else?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:10 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Dude, you have a vinyl plotter? Are we talking a laser plotter or a inkjet plotter?

Alot of people are into corel draw for creating vector images. Photoshop is of course the best image editing software, but apparently corel draw is better at creating vectors more acurately.

So.. I've been meaning to get a Chrome Intakes vinyl made... Hook a brotha up? J/k, actually, I wanted to line the bottom of the door with manufacturer's graphics of things I've purchased and have it in silver. What would you need to make it happen mang?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 PM

haha yeah man I just bought it the other day so I probably won't have it here until next week and then I'm going to give myself at least another 1-2 weeks to get everything up and running and play around with it...

After that, you tell me what you want, and we can probably work it out!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 PM

Hey man i got a plotter, and can give you a little advice. First off take extra care and be picking when doing the intial set up of your plotter, cause then every different type of vinyl you get to cut will work better, cause you just have to adjust the depth settings.
As for programs, it all depends on which program if any your plotter comes with. for instance when i got my plotter software i can only really play with text and manupilate it. as for graphics and stuff i can only import them into my program and cut them out. It isn't much of a design style software like adobe, and corel draw. Which for me isn't a problem because you can by graphics all over the web for cheap, and even on ebay, disc's of thousands of graphics, and besides that my buddy is a graphic artist so when i need something special i get him to work it up.. If you got anymore questions PM me, i'd be happy to help you out if i can..

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it from? I got mine from signwarehouse.com
Old 09-28-2007, 02:50 AM
DTN

^^ The 4 different plotters I've seen were configured as printers. Some people use auto-cad, especially with the laser plotters. It might be a matter of configuration.

KustomizedTiburon, is it a laser cutting plotter or an inkjet printing plotter?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:59 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I work with a guy who does this on the side, he has a pretty nice shop set up in his garage, and he gets actually quite a bit of business from it.

He uses Corel Draw.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:33 AM

Thanks zippy I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I probably won't need to manipulate images that much. What type of transfer tape do you use? The best stuff I've used so far is the clear stuff, it works amazing compared to the cheap masking tape looking stuff.

DTN- I'm not sure if it's either, it's just a regular blade cutter as far as I know so if its either then it's the laser cutting one.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:20 AM
DTN

A blade cutter? I've never seen that type. That should be interesting. Post pix of the head! I'd like to see how they do it with a blade. It's easy to picture a laser cutting in 360 degrees. A single blade seems a bit tougher though.

What's the model number mang? I'd like to see what you can do with it! I'll talk to some of my buddies at the local custom plotting shops and find some software which will suit your needs if I can find out more about the plotter. I'm heading to 2 of the plotting shops around here today or monday.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

DTN...

A blade for those plotters will cut dots out of vinyl as small as 1/16" dia. I have a guy that cuts me rings and dots all the time for tournament archery sights. just imagine and exacto knife blade that spinsin all axis's, pretty cool.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:00 AM

DOn't use the clear transfer tape its CRAP!! Use the 3M White style transfer tape, but you can get the stuff that is what they call "hi-Tack" which i use for all my decals i make. It works great no problems, i have had nothing but problems with 3 brands of the clear tape.