Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Usage Of "that's So Gay"

Old 11-28-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

How do you guys feel about this? I recently got into a long fight with my girlfriend about this word, "gay."

Are homosexuals really, truly, offended when they hear people say this? I personally feel that anyone who is actually offended by that, needs to look at the word in context, and not literally.

The word "gay" being used in context like, "God, that homework assignment was so gay," is NOT an attack against the gay/homosexual community. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about, I don't really need to list examples..

There are MANY words like this in fact..
Gypped, dick, whore, stupid, pussy, b****, douche.....

Do you think that every male gets offended when they hear someone say "He's such a dick" ?
Do females get offended when they hear "He's such a pussy" ?
Do gypsies get offended when they hear "I got gypped" ?
Do people with a lower IQ get offended when they hear "That's so stupid" ?

No, and they shouldn't. Why? because of CONTEXT.

At least be consistent in your hypocracy.

Do I agree with it? No, I don't, and I don't agree with any of those words up there. Logically, it doesn't make sense..but it is what it is. People need to look at the context and the intentions behind words, before they get all bent out of shape over them and start analyzing stuff.

Now, personally, I think these people are being overly sensitive, and need to get over it. However, I AM going to try and limit my usage of the word "gay," simply because it does offend some people, even though it really shouldn't (because they are just being hypocritical and overly sensitive), I am going to respect that, it is not a hard thing to do--not saying it does not inconvenience me in any way. Although, I do find it kind of ridiculous that I have to limit my speech and first ammendmendment right just because people are sensitive. I feel the same way about the "N" word. I guess sometimes we just have to do things to keep people happy, and show that we respect them.

Thoughts?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Nex

dude, this argument is GAY!

I used to have class with a lesbian chick and every time she would make a bad joke i would say"omg you're so gay" but of course not meant at her sexual preference. this would always end in her saying "yea, yes i am" lol.

man you made your point up there that the term is being used out of context.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:20 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i think your girl is wrong.

your girlfriend and some homosexuals are offended simply because if someone says "damn that is so straight" it isn't offensive. because "straight" it isn't offensive, "gay" is.

but the people who take offense to "gay" are doing so because they themselves know there's something determined by nature and society not "normal".
Old 11-28-2007, 05:36 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

I had this battle at work with a dyke. Use it and f them.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:44 PM

Working in theatre, I know a LOT of gays and lesbians. Except for the few militant ones, they are all pretty cool about the word "gay"

I will say this though, I was once giving directions to a friend how to get to my place and mentioned that he had to go straight for three blocks.. he interupted with "you mean gayly forward?" I almost lost it.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

lol I remember in HS someone would call something gay and this lesbian chick would say "choose another phrase please" so then they would say something else like "quit being a homo". Ive never used the term gay so much. And it was just to piss her off
Old 11-28-2007, 06:32 PM

Funny.. me and one of my friends who happen to be gay had this conversation a few days ago. He said "People need to stop being such p***ies, and realize that words are only words." So I guess the only people making a big deal out of it are the ones who want attention.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:17 PM

Vehicle: 1999 hyundai tiburon

i dont think so. i think people need to relax. i can see if someone might get upset about you saying something was retarded but in all honesty im tired of this politacaly correct bullshit. you dont see canadians getting mad when someone asks or believes something totally assinine about canada.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:35 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

I think the odd thing here is not so much that some people use the word "gay" in a derogatory sense... but moreso the fact that Zoned, a well-known pillar of his local gay community, is trying to pretend that he actually has a girlfriend.

Dude, I think it's about time you came to terms with your sexuality; you're not fooling anyone.

wink1.gif
Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

haha.gif