Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Update On Truecredit/greatfun Scam

Old 03-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

so im going through this same thing now.

discovered a whole bunch of charges going back to september of last year that i NEVER authorized. called the company up and was able to get 7/10 $14.95 charges refunded, made sure the manager i spoke with new there were more(i didnt know exactly how many charges at the time, i just said i wanted everything back), and then waited for the refunds.

so i got back 7 out of 10 after going back through my bank statements. i call again today and im told i agreed to some bullshit terms at the time i was refunded originally that negate any further refunds.

I TOLD THE MANAGER I KNEW THERE WERE MORE!!!!!!??!?

did persistent b****ing pay off for you alex? i'm pretty sure that if i call from my cell phone they will know exactly who i am and just hang up on me.

f*** them.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

What company? What did it show up as on your statement?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:13 PM

I've run into this a couple times and I'll call up the company and typically they'll say they can't do anything so just check with your card company and do charge backs. Worked everytime for me.

edit: just watched the video
hum.. I always pictured you as a shorter stockier dude. Not sure why.

Anyways thats pretty cool. One time I had the PC professor put several hundreds of dollars on a visa credit card. After about an hour of filling out forms with bank of america and faxing them back in it was all taken care of. Another time someone got my card number and started buying spamming email lists with it. I repeated that same process again and it was taken care of. Visa protection people will ask you if you've tried to contact the company, and as long as you've tried something they they're happy and simply charge the amounts back to them, all you have to do is a little paper work.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:55 PM

problem is the charges were done past the 60 day mark, and on my debit card.

this is the company, charges show up as both pmidentity and 24protectplus.

http://www.pmidentitycom-program.com/
Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

f*ing hell. we got something in the mail from "great fun". total rip off.

i need to check my account too because i haven't even used it. all those internet websites are scams except that freecreditreport.com website that was widely advertised. good job on screwing them over and making the news man. florida news is great, especially around tampa. they really get down to the bottom of things.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

It's actually not some little scam company. It's TRANS UNION. Which if you don't know, is one of the 3 major reporting agencies. This proves yet again that your credit is being manipulated by money hungry businesses.

I personally use True Credit also, but I'm literally "using" them. I think I stated in the other thread that you can use the "daily credit pulls" to bump off your inquiries. It takes about 45 pulls to start bumping trans union, and about 60 to start bumping Equifax.
I can go apply for 10 cards right now and easily bump the resulting hard inquiries off in less than two months. I get all the good accounts, and none of the bad results. wink1.gif

I'm still trying to build up my credit, so I like having their service right now. But, I have the payments linked to one of my small credit cards. And when I do cancel their service, I can easily prevent them from making any future billing.

FreeCreditReport.com is the same thing, only they're owned by Experian. Same service type, same affiliation to a major credit reporting agency, only they have their own formats and credit scoring.
I use to use FCR.com but didn't like their format, scoring system, and delay in their reporting. True Credit recieved the updates to my reports much sooner than FCR.com, so I ditched them.

I hope no one thinks I'm praising True Credit, but like I said, I'm "using" them to my own benefit. cool.gif
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 AM

yeah, I used annual credit report the other day (finally at the recommendation of majik) and guess whats in my email today!

Nathan,

Thank you for using TrueCredit to check your credit. We're proud to have you as a customer. And, we'd like to officially welcome you to the family.

Of course I didn't give any of them my credit/debit card so I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Those people are dirty though. And trans union might own true credit but it's probably behind so many other companies or layers of legal protection they couldn't get in trouble for what true credit does.