Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Umd Baja Sae Team

Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've already told/showed a bunch of you stuff about the Baja SAE team I am on with my university. Today I popped off our carbon fiber seat from the mold we had it vacuum bagged on. We've already made pretty much the same seat and ran it for a year, but it still amazes me how light/strong/sweet the part is, so i thought i would post up some pics along with a bunch of other ones.

these pictures are from last year's car, the '08. at comp we only finished 50th or so due to a complete lack of testing and a particular design flaw. rod ends were used on our lower a-arms instead of the 07 bushings and they failed. we finished 9th i think in the acceleration though, with a slipping cvt. we have a top 10 car easily, maybe a winning car, just working out the bugs now.

overall shot from the front

3 master cylinders for brakes, one just to control rears and the other two connected to seperate pedal via balance bar to adjust front to rear ratio.

side shot

pic of the brake pedals i designed with mastercam x2.

this is the cf seat v1. it pretty much came out the same, but it was much harder to get off the mold. i think we forgot to use parting wax the first time around or something.

a shot of the brakes and the steering column mount i made. the bolts holding the bearing holder(silver aluminum that has the column running through it) to the actual mount had to be safety wired as well.

rear and suspension components

rear brake setup. the calipers bolt directly into our gear case, which is also machined by us in house

spill pan for gas tank. this was vacuum formed. we cnc'ed a mold out of glued together mdf sheets based on a negative of the supplied .prt file of the gas tank then sent it out to make the part.

side panels

another pic. these actually took awhile. welding all those thin tabs(like 50 total) onto .028 tube sucked,

picture of our cvt (continuously variable transmission). as engine speed increases, the pulley on the left squeezes and the one on the right opens up. you can barely see it, but they are both conical on the belt contact surface, so the ratio changes.

on to some of the 09 changes..

to be posted tomorrow... i'm tired
Old 03-17-2009, 04:32 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Cool man. 2 questions, Why is it so tall and Why are you using a ribbed belt instead of a V-belt for the CVT?

You do some qaulity work there mang. Is this like a class you're in, or an after hours club or what?
Old 03-17-2009, 05:10 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX

Some nice looking parts you have there. I was on the Baja team when I went to RIT back from 2000 till 2003. Your car definitely looks like a contender. Is that a comet clutch? I know a bunch of teams had good luck with those. The seat and the spill pan look amazing and I like the onboard brake setup.

DTN, they use a ribbed belt because it's basically the same setup as a snowmobile clutch.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:55 AM

Wow man looks cool. fing02.gif The SAE team at my school has what I'm guessing is a previous one of their builds sitting in the lobby of one of the engineering buildings I have to walk into daily. Every time I see it I want to join lol.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 AM

NICE! what kind of motor and how much HP does it got?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM

^^ my thoughts exactly, dang that looks like fun.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:46 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^^ 10 hp briggs and stratton

looks good man, I wish our team had that kind of backing.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:23 PM

Cool man. 2 questions, Why is it so tall and Why are you using a ribbed belt instead of a V-belt for the CVT?

You do some qaulity work there mang. Is this like a class you're in, or an after hours club or what?

it's that tall because the rules require 6 inches above the helmet of our tallest driver, and we had some freakishly tall drivers last year. this year we lowered the top 2 inches or so. the belt comes with the cvt, so we use it. i don't really know why it's ribbed but it's prolly to allow the belt to go around different radii pulleys.

Some nice looking parts you have there. I was on the Baja team when I went to RIT back from 2000 till 2003. Your car definitely looks like a contender. Is that a comet clutch? I know a bunch of teams had good luck with those. The seat and the spill pan look amazing and I like the onboard brake setup.

yeah it's the comet. i don't know if they existed back in 03, but we are using a gaged cvt this year and it shaves off a bunch of weight and is overall more badass.

http://www.gagedengineering.com/dgx8.html

Wow man looks cool. The SAE team at my school has what I'm guessing is a previous one of their builds sitting in the lobby of one of the engineering buildings I have to walk into daily. Every time I see it I want to join lol.

do it man, you learn so much. the only problem is that it's so fun that your gpa will suffer. it's one of the best things you can have on your resume though.

NICE! what kind of motor and how much HP does it got?

as said, briggs and stratton 10hp. all teams have to use the same engine and can't alter it at all. it may sound puny, and it is, but in a 300lb car you can get going pretty fast.

we have an older 250cc motor we are going to eventually throw in our 07 car.

looks good man, I wish our team had that kind of backing.

which team are you with?
Old 03-22-2009, 11:12 PM

some more pics...

bushings we made to replace the rod ends on some control arms. we have a much stiffer and better fitting bushing now than we are able to buy.

frame completed with suspension on

our team "mentor" welding the steering column supports on.

our differential. it's a factory kawasaki part.

a video of me taking the car down the front steps of the JMP building on campus with no brakes.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/q92UG...feat=directlink

last year's car after comp. you can see where the rod ends failed.

our sweet rear hubs. they are basically a copy of the polaris factory hubs we use in the front, just lightened. we made a bunch at once so we won't have to for future years.

some non-baja stuff. we got back to the shop from another machine shop on campus and found a couple things duct-taped to our frame courtesy of the formula team. last year they tacked a welding wire penis to our frame so we welded their frame to the jig table. this year as retaliation we found every single hose/cord/rope we could in the shop and tangled it around their frame. you can see the air lines coming directly off the spool and into the frame.

and the smallest turbo i've ever seen. formula team is thinking about using it. that is my hand under the turbo mind you.

all for now, i'll have more pics soon.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:21 PM

defiantly thought you were going to slam into the wall. That looks like a fun class, wish my school had something like that. And i wanna put that turbo in my computer maybe it will run faster lol thing is tiny