Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

The Ultimate Sleeper

Old 03-17-2016, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default The Ultimate Sleeper

Finally, a 954 HP Car Truly Worthy of the Title “Sleeper”

One word that gets thrown around entirely too often in the automotive world is the word “sleeper”. A sleeper is supposed to be a car that looks like normal, slow, everyday kind of car but packs a huge punch under the hood. Instead cars like the E63 AMG, Subaru WRX, and even fully-built drag racing cars like the Boba Motoring VW Golfs are called sleepers despite being either known performance cars or clearly modified cars.

Look at the car above. There is very little about it that indicates that there is something impressive under the hood. Sure, the rear wheel is a bit larger than stock, but no one really pays that much attention to the wheels on a beater car. The cleverly matched hubcaps disguise them well enough. It just looks like a normal 1988 Chevy Sprint hatchback.

As you may have guessed; this car is not at all a normal 1988 Chevy Sprint. This car packs a fairly old-school drivetrain: a 402 cubic inch V8, going into a TH350 automatic transmission, to a Ford nine-inch rear end that has been shortened to fit the little Chevy. To add a little extra kick, the engine was tuned and then twin-turbocharged by Duttweiler Performance.

The final power numbers come out to around 954 horsepower. In a car that weighs as much as a medium-size refrigerator. This car would be a hilarious car to see in action, but I have a feeling that driving it would be about as relaxing as sitting in a car filled with snakes. To whoever is brave enough to drive it, I salute you. To the warped mind that dreamed this up, I thank you for reminding us all what it really means to be a sleeper.

Gearheads

So freaking cool!
Old 03-17-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

I mean, I understand they were trying to emphasize how unsuspecting this car looks... But they shouldn't have mentioned the Boba golfs

If I'm pulling up to a light and I see that Sprint, I'm gonna see the Wide AF rear tires, and know something's up. Add the sound of a built TT V8 and everybody is gonna know there's something sketchy about it.

Compare that to a Boba Motoring Mk2 that's a 4 Cylinder 16V 2.0 w/ a big freaking turbo, and AWD

The only way your gonna know something is up is if they have some sticky looking tires. You're not gonna hear it like a V8, and you're not gonna know it can AWD launch

Old 03-22-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

This is the kind of build I have been daydreaming of for years. That chassis is one of the lightest (4 wheel) ever sold in the US. 3/4 of a ton!!

And while I get the point about the large drag wheels in the rear, that's about the only way to get that kind of power to the ground in a RWD platform. Especially one that light. At least they did the work to afix a stock looking hub cap on the back and properly tuck to hide as much as possible. Also note the stricture added around the hatch area made to look as stock as possible from the outside. This is a serious dream car.