Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Twilight Zone

Old 10-11-2001, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twilight Zone

Everytime I wash my car, I use Meguire's Finalizing Touch spray when it's dry and I've noticed it attracts bugs...big time. I'll go to the gas station only to see green bugs all over it. This morning I walked out and saw at LEAST 500 spiders on my car(seriously). Has this ever happened to anyone or do I have some sort of curse on me?
Old 10-11-2001, 04:17 AM

Heh. It's actually been documented...

It's not just that spray, though. Cars with a very smooth finish, with a nice coat of wax (ie: extremely shiny) attract bugs. The colour of the car seems to make a difference as well. Most dark colours, many shades of blue, and even a few light colours (Gold/yellow hues in particular) will "fool" the bugs into thinking that the car's surface is water, or at least wet. This attracts the bugs to the car.

Alternate theories are that the UV reflections are responsible. It doesn't happen often on my car, but my car is red. My wife's car is often covered with bugs right after waxing.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:26 AM

I attract all manner of insects when I'm out there using Meguire's Detailer's Spray and claybar. I've thought that it might have been due to the slightly sweet scent of it having something that bugs were attracted to, like how some colognes will make you a mosquito magnet...