Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Transitioning out of a Sales Career into a different Field: Who has done it?

Old 08-22-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Tiburon
Default Transitioning out of a Sales Career into a different Field: Who has done it?

Please post:

-Level of Sales

-Amount of Time spent in that field

-What your college degree was

-What career path you chose after sales

-How do you like it compared to sales

I am 25 years old and have been in the sales game since graduating college. I started out in Auto Sales, which was brutal, but it taught me to appreciate a m-f 9-5 job. I'm currently in business to business inside sales on a phone all day. It definitely has its perks- I work for a large company with GREAT benefits, my coworkers are awesome, and it has a base salary and uncapped commission.

I cannot, however, see myself retiring from sales. I don't want to be 40 years old with Kids one day and decide I can't do this anymore. I am still young, no mortgage, no kids, and recently, no girlfriend. I have no school or car loan debt either. I considered going back to school, but for what?

I have a somewhat "usless" degree (communications) and I have built my resume around sales so far. I am worried that my career options are limited. Has anyone else made the jump to another field with only sales on their resume?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

At 25 you are totally without limits. Start over.

Figure out what you like to do. Do that. It doesn't matter what it is because you have no commitments. If it doesn't work out after a year or three, do something else.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

worked strictly in the automotive repair industry from 17 until i was 26 when i took a bullshit job at best buy just to have a change of pace

one of the smartest things i have ever done, it allowed me to reflect on what i wanted to do in life, made me realize how shitty working at dealerships truly is, and ultimately made me decide to go back to school
Old 08-24-2012, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

if you're 25 you still have lots of time. +1 to what stocker said, go back to school, more education never hurt anyone.