Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Traded in the MD

Old 01-25-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited
Default Traded in the MD

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is well. I haven't been around much because I have been super busy during my break from school. As some of you know, I was having major mechanical issues with my 2012 Elantra. The transmission would stick between 5 & 6 causing the car to run higher RPMs longer therefore causing poor gas mileage. Roadtrips were only 28 mpg. The transmission started to stick between 4 & 5. They dealership in PA said there was a transmission issue last June and they reset the transmission adaptives. The problem disappeared for 2 months then it slowly came back. So in September I was back in VT for school and the dealership here in VT reset the adaptives again. The problem disappeared and then came back again. I went back to the dealership in VT in December and they refused to do the reset again because "Hyundai won't pay us to do it." I turned around and said then find a permanent fix. They didn't even try. They were cocky jerks. I called corporate Hyundai and got no where. I brought the car back to PA to the dealership that said there was issue. This time they reset the engine and transmission adaptives together. But that was the last straw. I'm tried of the dealerships putting a band-aid on a much bigger issue. Hyundai is a good, reliable car as we all know. I just happened to get a bad one. I decided to get rid of the MD before I lose anymore money due to depreciation.

So I guess you are wondering what I know have. If you are friends with me on facebook you already know. I got a 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited.

I got car on Saturday January 19th.

Two nights ago my Subaru was broken into. Yes it was 5 days old. Well over 1000 dollars worth of damage. There were 6 other cars as well in my apartment complex. My car was the only car that had a security system that went off. People heard my alarm go off and a car taking off afterwards. They only stole my ipod cord. All this damage for an ipod cord. I would have given it to them.

Damage:

They broke in the drivers side window

Glass clearly in the door, in the door controls, on the dash, in the shifter, pretty much everywhere

Screwdriver damage to the molding from where they popped the window

Scratches on the leather seat from the screwdriver. The alarm must have scared them and they slipped.

Scratches on the door from their jeans from when they were trying to break the window.

The security system needs to be re-evaluated because even though the horn sounded for only 5 minutes, the flashers and lights on the dash were on for 8 hours!! Everything shut off right after the police cleared me to enter the vehicle to shut it off. The car barely started clearly due to a pretty much dead battery. Plus I hadn't started the car for a day in a half (sub zero temps) because my roommate drove us to class those days. The dealership wants to make sure there are no shorts or blown fuses because the flashers were on for so long.

Should I be concerned with a brand new battery being completely drained like that? I let the car run for a few minutes after it barely started. I didn't want to drive it clearly because of the glass and it was -5F outside. We started it to get it on the tow truck a couple hours later. But now it's sitting at the repair show. Should I make them replace the battery?

I am waiting on the estimate. I have no deductible on my comprehensive coverage so everything is covered thankfully. I will let you know the cost of damage when I get it.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 AM

Vehicle: 2016 Tucson Sport AWD

Awwww *hugs* Maders

Sucks that it happened to you. It's a nice looking car. =]
Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Saw this on Facebook. That's shitty luck Hope it works out

I'd be slightly concerned about the battery, but only if it continues to give you trouble. There's likely a warranty on the battery, even from Subaru.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by majik
Saw this on Facebook. That's shitty luck Hope it works out

I'd be slightly concerned about the battery, but only if it continues to give you trouble. There's likely a warranty on the battery, even from Subaru.

omg the moving cursor in your signature threw me for a loop!! haha
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That sucks. Glad you're still posting on here.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Wow!, sucks about the elantra troubles, Love the new subie!! , sucks about the new damage !
Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Even if you dont get a new battery, at the very least...have them run a test on it and the alternator just to make sure everything is charging properly and the battery is holding it. That will determine if you need one or not.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Sorry to hear about the break in, good luck with the new subi it's a clean ride!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I thought my luck ran short!!! What a story!!

I've long been fed up with Hyundai dealers. My family has not purchased from a Hyundai dealer since 1996 lol. I bought the Touring from Carmax

and they were very helpful. The first one came w/ a sunroof problem but they replaced it granted it happened within the 35 day warranty period because Hyundai took >2 months to get the part. I will NEVER purchase a Hyundai from a Hyundai dealer.

The transmission issue should be covered by the 10yr/100k! I would have sued bigtime!!! That is just unfair treatment. Ridiculous!

All the best and bundle up!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Hyundai wouldn't fix it until it completely failed and with me being in the infancy stage of my professional career, I need a 100% dependable car. I still miss my HD!!

I called the shop yesterday because they still didn't call me with the estimate. They did say after cleaning up all the glass they found that my console and some interior pieces were scratched from the glass. So they have to order all new pieces. Since the car was soo new, anything with a scratch is getting replaced under the insurance. The seat is most likely getting replaced as well. The earliest I would get my Subaru back is next Friday. The car will have spent more time in the shop than in my possession when this is all said and done. :angry: