Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Track Day Pictures

Old 04-03-2006, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

you Arizona guys should really turn out ot more of these events. Even if you don't race it's still a fun event (I didn't even pay the $90 entry fee AND GOT TO RACE FOR HALF THE DAY w/ HPDE 1/2 and 3). HPDE = high performance driver's education

Joeseph VAccaro w/ Vaccaro Motorsports ws running this event as Race Control and I got to know him purty well, so he was able to give me (a corner worker) some free track time. Woo hoo! Plus I got to ride in his hot car, f***in hotter than his wife.

Usually if we (as in the "racing club" at my college) work a weekend as corner workers, grid, starter, tower, then we get a free weekend of track time at the next event. And we might get a 10 minute session on the track during lunch, but this time he called OFF the corner workers and had them race WITH the HPDE courses (since there were so many workers this time around). Sweet f***in deal, a $180 worth of racing for free.

What I'm amazed at is how good my car did. At the end of the straight away (5/8 mile) my car was doing 100mph (if that) and my friends s2000 was doing 123mph. He killed me on the straights and in the corners but my average time around the track was 1min. 20sec. and his BEST time was 1min 16sec. He's a damn good driver, better than I am by far and I can't believe my car cut THAT close to his time. Tibs are under-rated mang, if you know how to drive take yours to the local track. Some FUUUUUUUN shit...

Now pics

Old 04-03-2006, 06:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

looks like a blast man!! we dont have a place like that anywhere close to here sad.gif nice job keeping with that s2k too, what do you have for suspension mods/tires?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:41 PM

Lucky bastid hail.gif
Old 04-03-2006, 06:47 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Where is this at?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:02 PM

Is that Firebird Intl'?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:49 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

wow due, that looks like so much fun!! i'd like to see some more pics of your tib, but the porsches are way cool. s2000's are pretty quick too so great job with the time.

did they give you a helmet or did you have one yourself? free track time sounds like an excellent deal, and an excellent friendship hahah. that's very very cool. not only does it help you be a better driver but it helps you become a wise driver as well. be carefull too.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:27 PM

^^HAHA, I was talking with this Porsche Cayenne guy and he let me borrow his brand new helmet. Any helmet rated M2000 (up to the current M2005) is okay for this. But I gotta say, stock seatbelts don't hold shit in place. I was in my instructors lap half the time and out the driver's window the other half.
__________________________________________________ _______

actually graduation from HPDE 1 can even get you a major discount with your insurance company (certain ones...)

Yes that is Firebird International Raceway (we also do Phoenix International Raceway) where MANY events are held, the straightaway is also a drag strip. Next Track DAy is April 6th and 7th, @ PIR.

And those of you who went to Nopi - Phoenix 06' I'm sure these look familiar. Actually if you remember those rumble strips (in an s-curve) that we practically parked ON, that IS the track (approx. turns 7 and 8).

It's a blast. I am officially an auto-X hater! LOL, seriously you have no idea cone-dodgers. I will NEVER drive my ass all the way from Prescott to Phoenis to dodge some cones for 3 minutes when I could do THIS!. OMFG, the instuctors are INTENSE. They KNOW their shit.

Example, coming into turn one (after the straighaway):
What the f#&@ are you doing get off the brakes, hit the gas you pussy.

Me: Ok, ok..

Now, don't turn in yet. Not yet g/dammit. Now turn. What the f*** are you doin you POS, smooth transitions with the wheel you're not cone dodging out here.
Now slam the gas. Get your downshifts in well BEFORE the turn...
Aim straight for the telephone pole (not even on the track). AIM STRAIGHT FOR IT!

Me: ahhhhh (in heaven)

It was a fun weekend. You ahve to put up with working 8-9 hours in the PHoenix sun on a corner waving flags and communicating with other corners, drivers, tower, etc. But for all the sunburns I don't give a shit. DID YOU SEE HOW CLOSE WE WERE TO THOSE CARS!. OMFG, I could touch them if I wanted.

You get to see some hardcore accidents too, plenty of contacts. We had a silver STi slam into the tires and make contact with the wall (those tires are BOLTED together, not just chillin on top of eachother). So it is HARD to seperate them. We had a Porsche 944 slam HARD into the tower wall after turn 10 (POS rumble strip...) and totalled his car. Couple contacts and plenty of drifters, LOL....

Here's some more pics. I can't stop thinking about this weekend, it was so g'damn fun. Ahhh

Now I have something to dream about at night..

(I want to make an animated .gif out of this set)

coming out of turn 4 I would almost have my driver side mirror touch the tire wall to my left. OMG, it was so fun...

Old 04-03-2006, 10:35 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

It looks like you had a fun time Pat. Pics are great.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:57 PM

I have bald ass tires in the back (and raced with no spare tire, so no weight in the back) and some okay tread on the fronts. Not performance tires by ANY means. But those who have seen my car in person KNOW I like to run them down to the wire (happens quite often) until I invest in a new set).

I had a blast. You're right tanc. The only problem with the tib is it is f***ING slow in the straights. I HATE IT. Because I'd be on almost any cars A$$ the entire time through the twisties and be ready to pass them on the striaght coming out of turn 12 and they would just blwo past me not lettin' me pass. Then I'm stuck behind them in the twisties again (no passing except in the straights for HPDE 1-2-3). But that's what the passing flag (blue w/ diagonal orange stripe) is for. The corner workers were all my friends so they would see I got stuck behind a mustang 5.0 or something and wave him down to let me pass. bastards...

when this Shelby drove by, it SERIOUSLY made my heart beat an extra time...
It was so loud...
...and sexy.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:04 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

gotta love porsche guys!!

haha dude i bet those S2000, some BMW and STi were like, "man, what's that black car in front of us, it's so nice"

Haha... way to represent man. Stay away from the sidewall, that can be the scariest thing if you scrape that. Your car is lowered right? It looks like it has some bodyroll maybe that's the cause of you flyin' in the seat.