Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Towing A Tiburon

Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this has been addressed already here. But, I am going to be towing my Tiburon home with a rented U-Haul dolly and my mom's 2002 4WD Honda CRV. I've never towed a car before. Those of you that have, and tips you could share? Also, I know I need a hitch, which I am buying from U-Haul, as well as the Dolly, but what else? What type of trailer ball do I need? It's a class 3 dolly. And what else do I need? What about the wiring and all that? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

practice braking with nobody in front of you, it takes a lot longer when you almost double the weight of the vehicle. also, take turns as wide as possible. the reverse thing is weird(opposite of normal-steer left when backing up to steer car you're towing to the right), but as long as you aren't practicing on a muddy hill(bad experience) you can undo any of your mistakes.

i really know nothing as far as types of harnesses or whatever.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If the people at U-Haul don't know hot to get you set up, a regular trailer hitch place should. Pop in there a few days before you need the equipment (if possible) to try to get someone to show you the ropes. Also google is your friend. Somebody probably has a webpage written for exactly your needs.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

there will most likely be only two sizes of balls you will have to worry about 1 7/8" or 2".

the main thing i would worry about is how high the front is gonna be. with your lowered stance you may want to think about taking off the rear bumper, maybe the rear part of the exhaust. not trying to give you nightmares, just looking at all the possibilities.

i dont know if U-haul supplies the straps , but look them over really well to make sure there isnt any wear marks. replace if there is.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Make sure you have enough power to get your vehicle home. I'm not sure how much towing power that CRV has.

Make sure you have enough braking power too, you do NOT want to lose your brakes.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:40 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The trailers have a braking system on the tow pintle just like our military vehicles did in the ol' FA REDZ. It's not that bad driving with a trailer. As soon as you brake, the trailer pushes against the tow pintle and starts braking itself.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Your first problem is going to be that U-Haul isn't going to let you do it. If you show up there to pick up the dolly with a CR-V, they won't rent it to you. A Tiburon is waaaaaaay outside the CR-V's towing capabilities and U-Haul knows it. You're going to have to bring a full-sized truck to U-Haul to pick up the dolly. You'll need something with a tow rating of at least 3500 Lbs. or they won't rent you a dolly.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:14 AM

yeah, my mom wants to rent a chevy blazer instead of using her CRV. And, I'm gonna be the one driving it back.

Actually, my dad has a Montero Sport, Im wondering if that'd be good for towing. And if he'd be willing to help me tow it back. I just need to get this car home somehow. It's to the point where I'm ready to sell it cause it's causing me more of a headache than it's worth.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (DTN @ Apr 25 2009, 08:40 AM)
The trailers have a braking system on the tow pintle just like our military vehicles did in the ol' FA REDZ. It's not that bad driving with a trailer. As soon as you brake, the trailer pushes against the tow pintle and starts braking itself.

I'm not an idiot, I tow with my Sorento all the time.

Without an actual braking control in the vehicle, anything heavy will not be good to tow.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

QUOTE (Tibbychick @ Apr 25 2009, 08:14 AM)
yeah, my mom wants to rent a chevy blazer instead of using her CRV. And, I'm gonna be the one driving it back.

Actually, my dad has a Montero Sport, Im wondering if that'd be good for towing. And if he'd be willing to help me tow it back. I just need to get this car home somehow. It's to the point where I'm ready to sell it cause it's causing me more of a headache than it's worth.

They might rent you a dolly with a V8 Blazer, but not with a Montero Sport. You need a body-on-frame vehicle with at least a 3,500 Lbs. tow rating. A unibody SUV with a 4 banger or V6 isn't gonna cut it. Also, tell them you'll be towing an Accent. It weighs less than a Tibby.