Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Top 25 Oddball Interview Questions

Old 01-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Top 25 Oddball Interview Questions

I plan on adopting some of these. It'd be interesting to see how people react or make up a lie and try to conceal it. I think it could tell a lot about a person.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...questions.html

Does anyone here have any weird, standard interview questions they ask, or have been asked?

1) "If you were shrunk to the size of a pencil and put in a blender, how would you get out?" — Asked for an analyst position at Goldman Sachs.

2) "How many ridges [are there] around a quarter?" — Asked for a project analyst position at Deloitte.

3) "What is the philosophy of martial arts?" — Asked for a sales associate position at Aflac.

4) "Explain [to] me what has happened in this country during the last 10 years." — Asked for a consultant position at Boston Consulting.

5) "Rate on a scale of 1 to 10 how weird you are." — Asked for an operations analyst position at Capital One.

6) "How many basketball[s] can you fit in this room?" — Asked for a people analyst position at Google.

7) "Out of 25 horses, pick the fastest 3 horses. In each race, only 5 horses can run at the same time. What is the minimum number of races required?" — Asked for a software developer position at Bloomberg LP Financial.

8) "If you could be any superhero, who would it be?" — Asked for a customer sales position at AT&T.

9) "You have a birthday cake and have exactly 3 slices to cut it into 8 equal pieces. How do you do it?" — Asked for a fixed income analyst position at Blackrock Portfolio Management Group.

10) "Given the numbers 1 to 1000, what is the minimum numbers guesses needed to find a specific number if you are given the hint 'higher' or 'lower' for each guess you make?" — Asked for a software engineer position at Facebook.

11) "If you had 5,623 participants in a tournament, how many games would need to be played to determine the winner?" — Asked for a manager position at Amazon.

12) "An apple costs 20 cents, an orange costs 40 cents, and a grapefruit costs 60 cents, how much is a pear?"— Asked for a project manager position at Epic Systems.

13) "There are three boxes, one contains only apples, one contains only oranges, and one contains both apples and oranges. The boxes have been incorrectly labeled such that no label identifies the actual contents of the box it labels. Opening just one box, and without looking in the box, you take out one piece of fruit. By looking at the fruit, how can you immediately label all of the boxes correctly?" — Asked for a software QA engineer position at Apple.

14) "How many traffic lights in Manhattan?" — Asked for an analyst position at Argus Information & Advisory Services.

15) "You are in a dark room with no light. You need matching socks for your interview and you have 19 gray socks and 25 black socks. What are the chances you will get a matching pair?" — Asked for a quality assurance position at Eze Castle.

16) "What do wood and alcohol have in common?" — Asked for a staff writer position at Guardsmark.

17) "How do you weigh an elephant without using a weigh machine?" — Asked for a software engineer at IBM.

18) "You have 8 pennies, 7 weigh the same, one weighs less. You also have a judges scale. Find the one that weighs less in less than 3 steps." — Asked for a systems validation engineer position at Intel.

19) "Why do you think only a small percentage of the population makes over $150K?" — Asked for a sales agent position at New York Life.

20) "You are in charge of 20 people. Organize them to figure out how many bicycles were sold in your area last year." — Asked for a field engineer position at Schlumberger.

21) "How many bottles of beer are consumed in the city over the week?" — Asked for a research analyst position at The Nielsen Company.

22) "What's the square root of 2000?" — Asked for a sales and trading position at UBS.

23) "A train leaves San Antonio for Houston at 60 mph. Another train leaves Houston for San Antonio at 80 mph. Houston and San Antonio are 300 miles apart. If a bird leaves San Antonio at 100 mph, and turns around and flies back once it reaches the Houston train, and continues to fly between the two, how far will it have flown when they collide?" — Asked for a software engineer position at USAA.

24) "How are M&M's made?" — Asked for a program development position at US Bank.

25) "What would you do if you just inherited a pizzeria from your uncle?" — Asked for a business analyst position at Volkswagen.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

1) "If you were shrunk to the size of a pencil and put in a blender, how would you get out?"

Depends, is this a Blendtec Total Blender or some no-name brand?

2) "How many ridges [are there] around a quarter?"

a whole bunch

3) "What is the philosophy of martial arts?"

I bet I can kick YOUR ass!

4) "Explain [to] me what has happened in this country during the last 10 years."

A bunch of yahoos made the general public afraid of their own shadow, so they blamed a government figurehead for some natural disaster, meanwhile we waged war on an idea and somewhere in the mix every enemy nation gained access to nuclear technology.... In short, we f***ed ourselves and didn't even call the next day.

5) "Rate on a scale of 1 to 10 how weird you are."

6) "How many basketball[s] can you fit in this room?"

As many as I damn well please or at least have the attention span for.

7) "Out of 25 horses, pick the fastest 3 horses. In each race, only 5 horses can run at the same time. What is the minimum number of races required?"

None, the three in the corner with handlebars for horns and wheels instead of feet are no doubt the intelligent pick.

8) "If you could be any superhero, who would it be?"

I'm a ninja

9) "You have a birthday cake and have exactly 3 slices to cut it into 8 equal pieces. How do you do it?"

With a knife

10) "Given the numbers 1 to 1000, what is the minimum numbers guesses needed to find a specific number if you are given the hint 'higher' or 'lower' for each guess you make?"

One lucky guess

11) "If you had 5,623 participants in a tournament, how many games would need to be played to determine the winner?"

Just one, a melee. With Railguns

12) "An apple costs 20 cents, an orange costs 40 cents, and a grapefruit costs 60 cents, how much is a pear?"

$1.68, they're out of season

13) "There are three boxes, one contains only apples, one contains only oranges, and one contains both apples and oranges. The boxes have been incorrectly labeled such that no label identifies the actual contents of the box it labels. Opening just one box, and without looking in the box, you take out one piece of fruit. By looking at the fruit, how can you immediately label all of the boxes correctly?"

Ragequit and go home to drink a beer

14) "How many traffic lights in Manhattan?"

Too many

15) "You are in a dark room with no light. You need matching socks for your interview and you have 19 gray socks and 25 black socks. What are the chances you will get a matching pair?"

Pretty poor with my luck

16) "What do wood and alcohol have in common?"

I hammer wood and alcohol gets me hammered.

17) "How do you find the weight of an elephant without using a weigh machine?"

Ask him

18) "You have 8 pennies, 7 weigh the same, one weighs less. You also have a judges scale. Find the one that weighs less in less than 3 steps."

Look for the one with a whole in it.

19) "Why do you think only a small percentage of the population makes over $150K?"

Inflation has not yet caught up.

20) "You are in charge of 20 people. Organize them to figure out how many bicycles were sold in your area last year."

Hey, I'll give you $20 to....... I'm middle management

21) "How many bottles of beer are consumed in the city over the week?"

Zero, You drink the contents, no one eats the bottle.

22) "What's the square root of a moose?"

It's Michal Palin's face in a pie multiplied by Douglas Adams squared!

23) "A train leaves San Antonio for Houston at 60 mph. Another train leaves Houston for San Antonio at 80 mph. Houston and San Antonio are 300 miles apart. If a bird leaves San Antonio at 100 mph, and turns around and flies back once it reaches the Houston train, and continues to fly between the two, how far will it have flown when they collide?"

Forever, trains don't fly hence-forth cannot collide with a bird that refuses to land.

24) "How are M&M's made?"

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/pony

25) "What would you do if you just inherited a pizzeria from your uncle?"

Throw the best damn party since Parker Brothers circa 1987!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Wow. If I was asked more than a couple of those dumb BS questions in an interview I would just walk out. It would make me not want to work there.