Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Those Stupid Transponder Keys

Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, of course another story of a crappy POS american car.. my neighbor went out and started her car this morning, and everything was fine, then went back inside for a bit, and then tried to start the car up again. i read this is a semi common problem with dodge vehicles, particularly the crappy stratus.

anyway, she needs a new lock cylinder im sure, because thats what usually needs replaced, but the new cylinder will come with non transponder keys.. i was wondering, as long as the original transponder key is on the key chain, will it start? does the key have to be in a certain position, or just a certain range.

anyone know how these damn things work as far as that goes..

any input that i can use will be appreciated.. and all the i dunos will just piss me off.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX

There is actually a ring around the ignition cylinder that picks up the frequency of the chip thats in the key. It is seperate from the ignition itself. As long as you plug the ring back in, then everything should work the same as before, she will need to get another key cut to the new cylinder and coded to the car. Sometimes just having the key on the key chain will work, sometimes it won't. Another solution is to pull off the grey rubber on the old key and you can see the transpoder chip, place this within range of the ring and the car will always think that the key is in posistion. Of course it would make it easier for someone to steal the car.