Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Thinking To Start A Tiburon Project

Old 05-10-2008, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

Work is going well, and I'm starting to get some steady income. I was seriously thinking about getting a car loan and buying a '00 or '01 Tib from a dealer. Thought honestly, I'd be looking to spend $4k for a high mileage car which I'd probably need to swap engines with not too far down the road.

Then I came across a black '00 with a blown engine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MECHANICS-S...#shippingQuotes
How much is this frame worth? If I go with this, I'd probably make an offer and try to get it to close ahead of auction.

This has got me scratching my head. I'm considering buying it, having it shipped to my location (for about $650) and then picking up a Beta 2 engine (for about $450 pretty close to here) and dropping it in. Or taking the engine out of my current car (which is undriveable, but engine runs just fine) which has 75k on it and putting it in.

I thought I'd ask first though... Is this a feasible project? The most complicated thing I've done with an engine so far would be to have installed the 1.8 cam. Would I, with the right tools, be able to preform an engine swap from the 97 to the 00? What tools would I need? It doesn't seem that difficult... just disconnect everything, and reconnect it in the other one. (I've built plenty of computers, so that type of thing isn't new to me... course this is on a slightly different scale) I'd need to separate the transmissions since the '97 is an automatic and the '00 is a manual.

Or should I just get the Beta 2 and go that route? With my current funds I'd have to do most the work myself and while the Beta 2 swap is pretty close to a direct swap, as I understand from my searching, I'd need to get some fabrication work done to make it fit... which sounds a little bit beyond my current capabilities.

What do you guys think? This a feasible project? Am I being too optimistic to think that it'd just be a swap and go? Everything regarding the engine in the '97 is in fine shape, just the frame and exterior components are in bad shape... Would it be a waste to swap in the '97's engine instead of picking up the Beta 2? I'd still have the '97 for spare parts, and the Beta 2 would be a manual, so I wouldn't have to deal with separating the transmissions...

The idea is that I have the money up front to fund the initial project, and then I can part out the '97 after I figure out what parts I need and don't, thereby generating more money to continue the project.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:21 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Alternatively, you could find a lower-mileage Beta I.

In any case, this would surely be a very interesting project and you will learn a lot from it - provided you have the space to work in, and you have enough time. With a garage and time, you can do anything smile.gif
Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Ditto^^ the easiest would be to just find a low mileage RD2 if thats what you are looking for and parting out your old car. Or, if you want to learn a whole hell of alot about your car, have the time, patience, and space, I'd say go for the engine swap. Hey, when ever I get a chance to work on my car and/or have an excuse to buy new tools, I jump on it whenever I can! I know you would also have plenty of support from the community here. fing02.gif

On topic: I dont see why the engines would not swap. They are both beta I's, so should be no problems. but, Ive never done it, so, maybe someone else can chime in here... body seems to be in good shape. If you can get her for the right price, then it may be worth your while.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:24 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

there is no real fabricating for beta2 swap. you just need to get a torch and heat the cross member, then get a hammer and kind beat it down where it looks like it might touch. i ended up doing that and then i kinda sorta "droped" the engine on the crossmember and that definatly cleared any issues up.

i would buy the shell, drop the beta2i n there and sell it for extra cash.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The 97 is a 1.8 though. Just keep that in mind. Ill get in here more when I get home
Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 AM

Its a Tiburon FX so I believe its a 2.0L , if I'm doing all the work to swap in a new motor and if the Beta 2 isn't something outside of my capabilities, then I'd prefer to do that. (Whacking something with a hammer, I would consider within my capabilities)

When you guys say garage, do you mean someplace with a lift? Or just something to keep the weather out? I was thinking to do this with just jack-stands or maybe some small ramps (the $35 version from autozone).

Looking forward to your comments Ericy.

What do you guys think would be a fair price for that frame/shell?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

use the search button i just did a DIY on beta2 swaping
Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Our cars are to low to get onto those type of ramps. At least the last time i checked they were, you could jack the car up and maybe get the wheels onto them but just driving it on to them isnt going to happen...
Old 05-11-2008, 09:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Only time I need to even have the car up for our motors is when Im pulling the axles out. Otherwise its really mostly up top and pulling the engine out. You dont need a lift at all. Sounds like you know where you are going with this and seems like a good project. I would think for that shell that it will probably go for 1500 or maybe 2 grand. Which isnt bad at all really.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:50 PM

Optimo: Thanks for the write up, I actually searched for the swap a bit, but kept it separate as "beta 2" instead. Though I too thought that the beta 2 cams were more aggressive than the 1.8 cam. (Reason why there is no reason for beta 2s to consider getting a 1.8 cam)

Ericy: Thats what I was hoping it would go for about. Speaking of pulling axles, could you explain to me how to do that? Also, what does it entail to disconnect the transmission from the engine?

Thanks.

I'm probably going to move forward on this! I think this could be a lot of fun as a project over the summer and get me a Tib at the end of it.