Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Thinking about adding a bay to the existing garage, need some advice.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tib/03 Silverado
Default Thinking about adding a bay to the existing garage, need some advice.

Here's my dilemma. The existing roofline is congruous and fits the house really well, and I'm not sure how I would go about adding a third bay to the right side or how I would frame the roof to not look totally atrocious. The concrete pad extends out far enough to the right and to the rear, so I think it would just come down to a bit of demo, framing, siding and insulation.

I thought about a flat roof, but that would just look stupid. Any ideas on how to incorporate another bay? Anyone tackle a design challenge like this?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Set it back the distance of the lower roof (looks to be about 3' or so), and make it a story and a half (or storage above the normal ceiling height) bringing the upper roof down at the current angle.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

What about something like this?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

You'll want to match the current roof pitch and have the peak be the side of your house, so it slopes away from the house only on the side. Where it extends in front of your house it can slope down to meet the roof of the current garage portion or only part way there.

Alternately if you just want more room you can extend the garage forward and have it twice as deep. That would give you 2 times the room that a new stall would, and the only real downside is that you could only park and drive 2 cars simply. It would be easy to keep a project or 2 behind the daily drivers though, or a fun car.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

put a garage door going into the backyard also