Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

The Theta is here!!!

Old 12-18-2004, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: PICK YOUR FAVORITE KOREAN BODYKIT!!!

QUOTE (ArcticChill)
Mmmm...I dunno if you people are familiar with aluminum vs iron...but aluminum expands and contracts a lot more than iron. If you wanted to boost your aluminum block, you would most likely have to put in iron sleeves, to preven the expansion and contraction.
I was well aware of that fact. And I'm sure most of the other people posting in this thread are too.

QUOTE (ArcticChill)
And also, if you were to boost an aluminum block to much higher HP, you would need to reinforce the block to take that pressure. Which means, in the end, you're spending more to make your aluminum block to withstand your high HP output, and making it weigh more.
that extra weight from reinforcement would still leave a block thats lighter than a Iron block / aluminum head combo. ie 2.0 theta will weigh less (with reinforcement) than a 2.0 Beta.

QUOTE (ArcticChill)
but you people need to see the long-term perspective of turbocharging.
You know what AC? the rest of your post is good, but YOU need to stop assuming that we are retards and don't know anything.

QUOTE (ArcticChill)
And honestly, are you people going to even really bother with a swap like that? Spend virtually $2000+ for a new engine, ECU, wiring harness...maybe tranny (dunno if they're still using the same trannies or not...maybe the older ones will still bolt up, maybe not)....and all for what? 40HP+? Better if you bought a better used engine, and turbo it. :roll:

Honestly, If you had read some of the posts above, you would have seen that there was absolutely NO (Zip, Zero, Zilch) talk of using a NEW, direct from the factory, engine.
QUOTE (Mad-Machine)
best bet.. wait until a few get wrecked and buy a parts car.
Almost every swap done on this Planet uses that method. I would not even think of buying one new. even if it was available for 2k in US funds. Which it wont be.

REDZ, Ill see if I can find some more specs later, gotta go do my X-Mas shopping today.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:03 AM

Default Re: RDTiburon Decals!

Guys come on guys... Seriously what's the big deal? 170 Hp? We all know that they over rated that and it's going to turn out to be 150 in the end lol.gif
Old 12-18-2004, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Insomniac Thread

good point..it'll also take a while for them to start developing aftermarket parts once its the sales floor.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Re: For the ass lovers!!!

QUOTE (CyberShark)
it'll also take a while for them to start developing aftermarket parts once its the sales floor.

I'm going to have to disagree here. Do you really think Mopar and Ralliart are going to be slacking on whats going to be the most widely used engine for the next couple of years?
Old 12-18-2004, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Custom Plexiglass Spare Tire-well cover

They may have some things out (and they will) but companys usualy wait a while to see how the product is selling before they start investing into further developement. Remember, Mopar didn't start selling high horespower kits for the turbo Neon untill a year or so after it was introduced. Also, it will take time for the private sector to start tunning them as they'll have to wait for the motor to come out.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Best Cheap OEM Mod Yet... *Teaser*

I do like the flaps that control air flow into the engine.. with them partially closed at low engine speeds, that increases the velocity at which the air enters the engine.. with them fully open at high rpms.. you get full flow.. very clever.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: parts cost more

that extra weight from reinforcement would still leave a block thats lighter than a Iron block / aluminum head combo. ie 2.0 theta will weigh less (with reinforcement) than a 2.0 Beta.

Actually, no it wouldn't be lighter than the iron block...it would actually be just as much as the iron block itself.

You know what AC? the rest of your post is good, but YOU need to stop assuming that we are retards and don't know anything.

I'd like to do that, but I see so many ricers these days, I assume everyone doesn't know anything. And if you knew some of this stuff, then why get so giddy over the Theta? wink.gif

Honestly, If you had read some of the posts above, you would have seen that there was absolutely NO (Zip, Zero, Zilch) talk of using a NEW, direct from the factory, engine.

Even if you were to wait out this mod, it would still be pointless. If anything, getting the heads off the Beta II would be a mod worth spending money on, vs doing an engine swap for an aluminum engine that has the potential of only being an economy engine...not a street racing engine. I believe someone posted on HP an article where Hyundai didn't want to go into making performance engines, or getting into the street racing scene like Mitsubishi has done. They're tailored to economic and fuel-efficient vehicles. Hence the lighter engine.

On a slightly off-topic note....one of the GK Tib guys that have the Ripp SDS on their 2.7L Tib blew their engine again...for the 3rd time. The engine, not the S/C. An example of an aluminum block blowing under pressure. I know you guys prolly know this, many n00bs don't, so don't assume I'm talking to you specifically.

I do like the flaps that control air flow into the engine.. with them partially closed at low engine speeds, that increases the velocity at which the air enters the engine.. with them fully open at high rpms.. you get full flow.. very clever.

Or constantly let air flow into the engine bay to constantly cool the engine, rather than letting some cooling be done at lower RPMs nad more cooling done at higher RPMs. I fail to see the point of having those flaps. I can understand ventilation towards the outside, similar to the Lambos, which open vents on the rear hatch to allow engine heat to escape,...when it reaches a certain temp. Now THAT would be clever.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: The Blue Dragon ***UPDATED w/ New Pics***

Some stage 3 Ripp's SDS are putting out 310whp, and taking it fairly well. Thats like 361hp on stock internals. Stock pistons, stock rods, stock valves. Out of a small displacement V6 thats is major power and have been running that for a long time. If he blew his engine, then the dyno he is taking his car to for tuning are utter retards. Don't blame the engine for that, its a tough little thing.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:46 PM

Default Re: RDTiburon Decals!

Ummm....dunno where you heard that from, but Ripps was doing the tuning for him. And the Ripp SDS for the 2.7L is still under testing.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: The Theta is here!!!

Well, the Nissan SR20DE/T block (used in the NX2000, Sentra SE-R, 200sx SE-R, Infinity G20 among others) is aluminium and VERY strong. There's plenty of high boosted SR20DE in the Nissan community, and the SR20DET is the same but comes boosted from the factory.

I guess it depends on more than just the material wink1.gif