Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

These people have never heard of finders keepers

Old 05-02-2012, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon
Default These people have never heard of finders keepers

Woman who lost Ark. lotto ticket entitled to $1M

SEARCY, Ark. (AP) — An Arkansas woman who cashed a $1 million lottery ticket may have to give up the winnings to a woman who threw away the ticket after she bought it, according to a judge's ruling Tuesday.

The judge decided that Sharon Duncan was entitled to the prize money, not Sharon Jones, who claimed the prize money after she took the ticket from a trash can of discarded lottery tickets at a convenience store in Beebe, a city about 40 miles northeast of Little Rock.

Jones' attorney, James Simpson, said he plans to appeal. Jones had testified that she already spent some of the money on a new truck and cash gifts to her children.

Simpson noted that Duncan testified she threw away the ticket after the read-out on a ticket scanner said, "Sorry. Not a winner." The attorney argued that people shouldn't be allowed to throw items away and then say, "'ooh, I want to un-abandon it.'"

"We'd have garage-sale law all over the place," he said. "It became trash when someone threw it away."

White County judge Thomas Hughes, however, said Jones never met the burden of proof that Duncan abandoned her right to claim $1 million.

"The $1 million was never found money," Hughes said.

Earlier Tuesday, Jones testified that she gathered a handful of discarded tickets from the trash can — as she had done many times before — and said there was no sign alerting customers not to take tickets.

That contradicted Super 1 Stop store manager Lisa Petriches' earlier testimony that she had taped a sign that read "Do not take" on the can. But a former store clerk testified that Petriches posted the sign only after Jones claimed the prize.

Petriches brought the lawsuit against Jones, and Duncan joined it after the judge said at a January hearing that she may be the true owner of the ticket. Hughes ruled that Petriches and the store's owner, Louie Dajani — whose corporation, Summer One LLC, joined the suit — weren't entitled to anything.

The judge instructed the winning side to write the judgment for his signature, and it will become official once Hughes signs it. Jones' attorneys will then have 30 days to file an appeal.

Hughes found that the evidence weighed in Duncan's favor that she bought the winning ticket, even though lottery records and store security video didn't synch up to the precise timing of the purchase.

Arkansas Lottery Security Chief Lance Huey testified that he investigated the circumstances of the ticket falling into Jones' hands. He said the lottery was satisfied with the investigation and awarded the prize.

Duncan's attorney, James "Red" Morgan, argued that she simply made a mistake by throwing away a $1 million ticket and that the only right she willingly parted with was to enter the ticket for the possibility of a secondary prize.

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-lost-ark...001711454.html

I would lawyer up big time and fight it in every way I could. If I found a trashed lottery ticket and it was a winner, its mine!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

how does that even make sense.... take her money away that she rightfully 'found'.... someone discarded a winning ticket.. what is wrong about this lady finding it and cashing it.. i don't get it..
Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Hughes found that the evidence weighed in Duncan's favor that she bought the winning ticket, even though lottery records and store security video didn't synch up to the precise timing of the purchase.
what!?!?!?! So there's no proof the lady ever even bought the ticket?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 PM

Vehicle: 01 tib t3t4

I threw my ticket in there too maybe its my $$$$$$$ If anyone asks you if it was really mine or not just say it was and I'll cut you in. Losers weepers
Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

There are laws regarding valuable abandoned property... cars, real estate, even cash. "Finders keepers" is not a legal principal.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Fair point, but you can generally assume that an abandoned lotto ticket is not usually valuable property. Especially when it has been purposefully disposed of, like putting it in the trash.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

But when you find out the ticket is a winner, it's now valuable and you are legally required to make a reasonable effort to find the owner.