Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Is the system unfair to convicted felons?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Tiburon
Default Is the system unfair to convicted felons?

I've seen a lot of talk on this recently. I know a guy who is a good guy, but made some bad decisions and has multiple felony convictions. It's very hard for him to find a job now days. When there are 50 people applying for a job, it doesn't matter how skilled he is because the felonies hold him back. I am sure a lot of people will say "good, if they commit a felony they deserve every bad thing that comes their way", but I don't agree.

Isn't the point of prison to re-habilitate someone? If someone is dangerous, keep them locked up. If they are considered safe enough to be let free, I think the felony tag following them may be a bit unfair. That's why so many felons reoffend. They get out, can't find any legal work to do, so they're forced into a life of illegal acts. What do you guys think about it?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 99 accent

The reputation based system is ridiculous and has unintended (or not?) consequences, but everything's felony in this fascist police state (not other countries are better) so it's kind of meaningless, it's great for the DA and other parasites, I bet most people have committed a "felony" at some time.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

To me, depends on the actual crime(s). I'm betting most people with multiple felony convictions aren't the kind of people I would want to hire or work with.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

This is a loaded question. Lets be realistic for a moment, given the valid situation "there are 50 people applying for a job," not an uncommon scenario in this market, an employer has his pick of the litter. If there is one job to fill he is going to pick the person that best fit the companies needs and shows valid work ethic. By and large, someone with a criminal record is a gamble. Yes the goal is rehabilitation, but it's impossible to cure a sociopath. It's going to be impossible to tell from a resume and a paper record is he's dealing with someone who was just wrong-place/wrong-tine and wrongfully accused or a cold hearted killer. Naturally if there is trade school or college trained individual with ten years of solid experience he's the ace. It's just the rule of numbers and it's HR and management's job to ensure they pick the the best man for the job.

Assumed he's one of those unfortunate (know a few of those) life's going to be a b*tch for the next few years. He's best off to settle for a crap Walmart gig, prove himself and work up to a management position then hold it down for at least 24 months.

After my wife graduated college she couldn't find any open jobs in her field and at the time she was holding down a management position in the accounting office at Six Flags. Sh!t's just hard right now and will be for a little while longer especially if you have an up hill battle.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I plead no contest to a felony reckless driving charge back in '98. Now I can't own a firearm. Not only did my crime not involve a weapon, I'm one of the few people you DO want owning a weapon. I was on the rifle team in High School and am Expert qualified on pistols and rifles through both the US Army and the NRA. Is it fair that I'm not allowed to own or even handle a weapon?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:40 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

It really depends on what the charges are for and how many you have. If you just have one that could just have been a bad decision, I see no problem hiring them as long as they changed their life. But if you have multiple felonies, I dont care what there for, I have no sympathy for you.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Vehicle: 99 accent

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I plead no contest to a felony reckless driving charge back in '98. Now I can't own a firearm. Not only did my crime not involve a weapon, I'm one of the few people you DO want owning a weapon. I was on the rifle team in High School and am Expert qualified on pistols and rifles through both the US Army and the NRA. Is it fair that I'm not allowed to own or even handle a weapon?
Perfect example, also shows how meaningless constitutional rights have become, and sh*t for a traffic offense?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

So a vehicle can't be called a weapon.. ehh...... ???

Now what happened in his case, no. However, I can use my car as a weapon. Probably do more damage with it in some situations that I could my .45...
Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

No criminal code considers vehicles to be weapons. Anything can be used as a weapon. If I slam someone's face into the wall, I just used my house as a weapon.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

cobra's case is bogus imo. im sure after this many years you can ask for that to be taken off your record if you wanted to pursue it.

a guy at work is a sex offender and is on the country registry. he solicited a hooker for a BJ and it was a UC cop in KC. yeah he was drunk when it happened and more than likely would not have done it if it wasnt for his friends egging him into to talking to her. gotta know the guy cause he is super shy around chicks, specially now.

I recently just dodged a battery charge dec. 19th with the ex gf. only thing that saved me was i was really cool with the cops, i was the one that actually called 911, and finally talked to the judge with a calm demeanor and basically told him i lost my cool and it wouldn't happen again.