Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Is supporting wikileaks Un-american?

Old 02-09-2011, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib - REVISION A
Default Is supporting wikileaks Un-american?

Where do you guys stand on Wikileaks. good? bad? American? UnAmerican?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Evil. The concept is good, but certain limitations should be placed. Good stops being good when it creates bad.

The political motivation behind it is evil.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:52 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

If there was nothing bad then there would be nothing good. I believe heavily in Karma and that everything we do will come back to haunt us one day, WikiLeaks is just lifting the mat and everything that has been swept under is showing up again.

I watched the "Collateral Murder" videos and can attest first hand that often a mess needs to be made in order to clean another one up. People need to focus on the positive that has been created through war and terror in Iraq and Afghanistan. Having been deployed twice to Afghanistan I have been able to see a lot of very good changes, ive also done some questionable things...during my first deployment to Afghanistan we were given the same type ROEs that are mentioned in the videos but often it was required in the hostile environments we went in to.

No right desicsion is ever right for everyone.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I don't agree. It doesn't make sense to me that good and bad are needed to balance
Old 02-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

They don't have to balance, but for contrast to realize one exists, the other is necessary to some degree.

Before she became The Man and dissent against the people in charge became a pain in her behind, Secretary of State Clinton said dissent was the highest form of patriotism. She may have been wrong.

Wikilieaks: a good idea taken too far to promote a personal agenda.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 PM

How so? Can you really appreciate what is good in life if you have nothing bad to compare it against?

I do not believe you would be un-patriotic to support WikiLeaks, you might support the soldiers but that doesnt mean you approve of or support the war effort. WL is simply taking the things that a government has hidden...the expression is true, what the eyes dont see the heart wont feel.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yes it is unpatriotic to support a site which is basically against our government.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

pa·tri·ot

   /ˈpeɪtriÉ™t, -ˌɒt or, especially Brit., ˈpætriÉ™t/ Show Spelled[pey-tree-uht, -ot or, especially Brit., pa-tree-uht] Show IPA

–noun

a person who regards himself or herself as a defender, especially of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.

so to some degree a patriot is someone who defies the government's mandates...so to support a site that goes against the government is sorta patriotic

personally i think the media needs to be taken out of war zones

this war wouldve been over A LONG f*cking TIME AGO, if the media wasnt involved....including people who are trying to "leak" unclassified info, distorted to support a political agenda
Old 02-10-2011, 05:23 AM

Media has its place in war zones, reporters will ultimately make or break a war effort back on the home front. Unfortunately the war in Iraq and Afghanistan are both based off of a persons personal agenda and as I said before, you can support your troops/soldiers but that doesnt mean you support the war.

Supporting a govt only goes so far, when vote time approaches some people are so set in their ways that they say "Im Republican" or "Im Democrat" and will vote for that running member even if he/she may not be in the best interest...hell if someone doesnt vote then they are not supporting the government. Does that mean they should be tried for treason?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Wikeaks has nothing to do with voting and everything to do with releasing Top Secret documents to the world.