Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Students? Anyone Else Take Summer Classes?

Old 07-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yah so we never really know who's in school and for what. First off im a Biochemistry major, originally took classes @ SUNY fredonia, but now im taking classes at SPC and intending to transfer to USF for my bachelors, i have 72 credits as of today.

i never took summer classes before, always just did the standard fall and spring and took the summer off. Since i'm trying to play catchup to the extreme, i took 3 summer classes at Saint Petersburg College. American Government, Western Humanities, and Applied Ethics. Ethics was online and the others were in person, i hated the online class, mostly cuz the prof didnt respond to messages and was really vauge on assignments. Overall i liked the summer semester, the classes were only 10 weeks long and i still had a few weeks between spring and summer, and now i have another 5 weeks between summer and fall, so i get 2 mini summer vacations while being productive with my summer and snaggin 9 extra credits

Well finals were last week and i rocked em, got A's in all 3 classes and an A on the ethics final, a 97 on the Government final, and a 93.3 on the humanities final. All without even studying haha, my friends who studied their asses off were pissed since i still beat em.

Next semester I'm taking Calc 2, Comp 2, and speech and then transferring to USF.

How bout yall?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah taking summer classes really help for catching up. I took a few the past few summers and if I didn't I wouldn't I graduated this May with my Computer Engineering degree.

I also found that I learned more in the summer classes. I think it might have been the lack of students in the classes, instead of say 40 students there were maybe 10. Helps to get more personal help from the professor.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I've got 26 hours left to complete my BS in Geography. I'm taking 13 in the Fall, and 13 in the spring. This fall I'm taking 4 geography classes and one history class.

Geog 499 Remote Sensing Fundamentals (Intro to Remote Sensing)
Geog 356 Systematic and Regional Biogeography
Geog 471 Concepts of Applied Geography Seminar
Geog 487L Geospatial Analysis and Modeling (Intermediate Geographic Information Systems/Sciences)
Hist 338 History of WWII Era

I can't wait to finish so I can get my raise at work and start working on my Masters.

I might also drop the 471 and replace the 1 credit hour with a 3 credit hour Problems class, so I can graduate with honors.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

work wants me to take a course in management for my supervisor position. but when it gets down to paying for it they say...."ay for it, and when you can prove you passed with a B or higher, we will pay you back."

i said,"can i have that in writing that you will pay me back?"

I never get a yes we will or get a paper for me to sign, so i dont take it. another thing about the course was this summer it was only offered at night from 7p to 10p tues/thurs.

good thing: college is within walking distance from my job and i would get out of work for 6 hours a night.

bad thing: they want me to clock out for it and make up my time during the week(like i'm not there enough, ask bullfrog, lmao)
Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I was gonna take summer classes but USF wasn't offering what I needed. To Alex01 I'm sure you know but USF rocks. Going on my 3rd year here working on my Chemical Engineering degree and loving every minute of it.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I am working towards my Associates in Computer Science and also my CCAF which is Community College of the Air Force, Aerospace Science.

For my AA in CS I need 3 hours of English and 3 hours of History.
I am currently enrolled in EN202 Composition and Literature

For my CCAF I need 3 hours for Oral Language (Speech) and 3 hours for Math.
I took a CLEP for the speech about two weeks ago and am waiting on the results.

So basically after this class is over and assuming that I passed the speech clep, I am only lacking two classes. I am pretty sure I can CLEP them both. So I am hoping to have both of these finished by October.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:58 PM

This is my first summer where I'm taking summer courses since I have alot to make up....I'm on my 3rd college, w/ a 3rd major lol. I just turned 20 a few weeks ago and had a midterm on my birthday, talk about a drag. But, my major as of today is Electrical Engineering w/ a minor in Marine Sciences....I havn't even gotten to the EE classes yet, still fulfilling the core requirements but I'm getting there.

Summer Session 1 I took:
Analytical Physics 1A (I highly recommend everyone stays clear of this aha)
Analytical Calculus 1

Summer Session 2, I'm currently taking Analytical Physics 1B. (I also recommend everyone stays clear of this)
Old 07-20-2008, 11:44 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

yah analytical chemistry wasnt much fun so i feel your pain, cant wait for the spring semester tho i'll be back to chemistry classes and wont have to do these damn bullshit good for nothing liberal arts classes
Old 07-21-2008, 07:56 AM

You wouldn't think there would be much of a difference between General Physics and Analytical Phyiscs....then you see the textbook.....
Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

i am not taking summer classes, but getting back in to school in the fall at Axia College of University of Phoenix working towards my acssoicate degree in Information Technology, I am half way there and I doing it all on the US Navy dime (we get 15 credit hours a fiscal year not to excend 250 per credit hour)...

Now i will be on the ball cause I am on official shore duty and I got 1 year 11 and 27 days left on this enlistment, so hopefully i will do to the reserves and get a job doing what i currently do at this command...