Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Student wins court case against school, receives threats

Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Student wins court case against school, receives threats

A federal judge has ruled in favor of Jessica Ahlquist and ordered that a mural depicting a Christian prayer be removed from her high school in Cranston, Rhode Island. You can read the full ruling here. Judge Robert Lagueux ruled that the mural violates the Establishment Clause.

The school tried to argue that Ahlquist had no standing to bring the suit, but that was a losing argument from the start. She attends the school and the courts have always given standing in such suits. More importantly, they tried to argue that the mural had a secular purpose because it was a “historical memento of the school’s founding days.”

The religious purpose of both the original accepting of the mural and the current school board in voting to keep it up was clear. At a school board meeting, one of the board members offered a resolution to vote to keep the mural up, saying, “I cannot leave God at the doorstep because I believe in God. I’m very religious and I pray every day.” Virtually everyone who spoke in favor of keeping the mural made their arguments solely on the grounds of their religious beliefs.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatch...mural-removed/

Responses

“May that little, evil athiest teenage girl and that judge BURN IN HELL!”

“yeah, well i want the immediate removal of all atheists from the school, how about that?”

“Jessica Ahlquist may have won her case, but she’s going straight to hell. #Godovereverything”

“I hope there’s lots of banners in hell when your rotting in there you atheist **** #TeamJesus”

“If this banner comes down, hell i hope the school burns down with it!”

“U little brainless idiot, hope u will be punished, you have not win sh..t! Stupid little brainless skunk!”

“**** Jessica alquist I’ll drop anchor on her face”

“definetly laying it down on this athiest tommorow anyone else?”

“Nothing bad better happen tomorrow #justsaying #fridaythe13th”

“Let’s all jump that girl who did the banner #****thatho”

“literally that b*tch is insane. and the best part is she already transferred schools because shes knows someone will jump her #ahaha”

“”But for real somebody should jump this girl” lmao let’s do it!”

“Hmm jess is in my bio class, she’s gonna get some **** thrown at her”

“I want to punch the girl in the face that made west take down the school prayer… #Honestly”

“hail Mary full of grace @jessicaahlquist is gonna get punched in the face”

“When I take over the world I’m going to do a holocaust to all the atheists”

“gods going to **** your ass with that banner you scumbag”

“I found it, what a little b*tch lol I wanna snuff her”

“if I wasn’t 18 and wouldn’t go to jail I’d beat the **** out of her idk how she got away with not getting beat up yet”

“lol I wanna stick that b*tch lol”

“nail her to a cross”

“We can make so many jokes about this dumb b*tch, but who cares #thatb*tchisgointohell and Satan is gonna rape her.”
http://jesusfetusfajitafishsticks.bl...christian.html

CRANSTON, R.I. --

Police said Friday they were investigating threats made against a 16-year-old student who fought for and won the removal of a prayer banner at Cranston High School West.

Jessica Ahlquist has faced harassment both in person and online. She said the court battle has cost her friends and that she doesn't know if she'll return to the school.

A federal judge ruled Wednesday that the prayer banner in the school auditorium is unconstitutional and must be removed. School officials covered it with a green tarp while they decide whether to appeal.

But debate over the banner hasn't been silenced.

"I think it's been a distraction to the kids in the school. I'll be glad when it's over, things blow over," said parent Kristen Ciacciarelli.

Online, the discussion is far from blowing over. Hateful posts hit Facebook, Twitter and other blogs. Threats have been aimed directly at the 16-year-old Ahlquist, a self-proclaimed atheist.

"It's been very disappointing to read many of the comments being made, not only by students but also the public at large. It's been a difficult time for Jessica and her family as well as the district," Ray Votto, the chief operating officer of Cranston.

Cranston school officials said they are working with police to help protect the teen. NBC 10 has learned that one Cranston public school student has been disciplined because of an online post.

"Police and school personnel are definitely cracking down on it. They see the effects of it and they will take legal action against it," said Amanda Hannon of Stop Bullying Now RI.

School officials said the student who made a post does not attend Cranston West and was not suspended. They wouldn't go into further detail.
http://www2.turnto10.com/news/2012/j...ner-ar-894870/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMcjT...layer_embedded
Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

Nothing like violence in the name of the Lord.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Heh, wonder how many of them even noticed the darn thing untill this?

Love how she took it to court, fought for it's removal, then may not even go back there because she didn't think about repurcussions.

Religion aside, stupid move on her part.

Then again, it just seems like the media picked this up and threw gas on it, fanned the flames, and made "news"...

Why not put this effort into reforming the school system instead of bickering about a banner...
Old 01-16-2012, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 99 Tiburon

Praise jeebus
Old 01-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I love how Christ like the "Christians" are being in their postings.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

That was sickening to read those comments from "Christians". Jesus loved the world so much that He took on their sins and suffered and died for them all to save them from hell (but more so, allow them to be with God again), and these "followers of Christ" are actually condemning this girl to hell? When Jesus came down to Earth, He actually dined with girls like Jessica, and saw their needs and related with them. The only time Jesus did get mad, was at the so called 'religoius' folk and the corrupt priest/pharisees, like all of those threatening/insulting her.

People like this ruin the Christian name much like the Taliban ruin the Islamic name. A bunch of people who claim to follow a religion, have no clue what the religion is actually about, don't follow it AT all, but love an oportunity to violently defend the name of it. This is one reason I don't like to call myself religoius, as religion unfortunatly seems to be more about traditions of man and customs and anger against anyone who won't conform to your brainwashed ways than it is spiritual. The first people calle Christians were called that meaning a disciple or follower of Christ. Jesus related with people and offered to help those that wanted it, letting them know, but more so, showing them with His actions that He was the light and the truth. If you wanted to believe in it and follow Him, great, if not, you have the free will to do so. He never once got angery at sinners nor got violent or tried to convert anyone or bashed anyone for not believing in God or conforming to His ways. Though He did get angry at those who claimed to follow God but were more corrupt and violent and perverted and greedy and pridefull than those who didn't believe in God.

Too many 'Christians' mistake themselves for God, think they are the one to judge and they are in control and they must convert others, because without their help, it will never happen. It just shows they lack in faith and it is quite the opposite, that God is in control, His will will be done regardless of their help or lack there of, they need to be concerned with living a life to please God and be and example of love, and have faith that God could possibly use them to bring others to Him and God is the only one that can judge and if it wasn't for what Jesus did for us justifying us from our sin, we would be just as lost and blind and sinning just as the sinners do. We need to show the sinners by example what Jesus did for us when He freed us from our sin, and they might ask us about it. But if you are living in the same sin they are, but claim to be different/better, they don't want to listen to you and you just turn them off.

Sorry, I know this isn't a religions forum, I just have to attempt to put the truth out there when it is so horrible misrepresented.

But like 300d said, religion aside this was a dumb move on her part, hopefully when she grows up, she will learn to pick her battles better. This was effecting her in no way other than in principle, she should have left it alone.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:11 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

How butthurt would you have to be to take it to court? I bet you a gentlemen that she was on the debating team.