Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Stalling Out???

Old 08-07-2001, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling Out???

Hey, my girlfriend is learning to drive a stick and i was just wondering how much damage stalling out does to the car and all the good begginers querks. All the shaking and stalling and all that good stuff.
Old 08-08-2001, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Moving to OFF TOPIC.
Old 08-08-2001, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Here's a solution........DON'T LET HER DRIVE YOUR CAR!!!! *ha ha* Just kidding man. I'm not really too sure on what kind of problems it can cause. I know it can't be good for the clutch. You should have her buy a POS cheapy car, and let her learn on that. Or there's always either driving school, or go to the arcades and have her play a driving game with standard transmission cars. *ha ha*
Old 08-08-2001, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Have her learn on a gravel road. Less chance of stalling out the car as the gravel will allow more wheelspin than the pavement. It will also teach her smooth clutch engagment.

To keep your car from getting "stoned", put pieces of cardboard behind each wheel. Screw them in place using the stock screws that hold the "underfender" in place. It may look stupid, but after 2 hours on gravel, you can remove them, and still have a pristine car.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:26 PM

One of the best teaching tools for learning the value of the friction point (and to prevent you from having to replace your clutch in two weeks!) is, before you start ANYTHING else, have her practice several times engaging the clutch and getting the car rolling on idle in first gear without any use of the gas pedal. It's tedious for the first few times, because odds are she'll do nothing but stall and stall and stall, but at such low engine speeds, you shouldn't be hurting anything. And once she's good at finessing the clutch to do this, everything else you teach her will be MUCH easier.

This is how I first learned stick, so I'm a little partial. Also, after hearing the horror stories of my dad teaching my mother how to drive his standard '66 Mustang, and having her burn through a clutch in under three months, I believe this is the best place to start.

...gets off the didactic soapbox...
Old 08-08-2001, 01:45 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Find a friend with a 1982 Nissan 200ZX who is about to sell it, then ask him to teach you. Worked for my freinds, too bad I already got the automatic before I could of taken some lessons.