Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Spray insulation or pink fiberglass blankets

Old 11-14-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 genesis
Default Spray insulation or pink fiberglass blankets

I'm buying a new home but have decided to have the home built. I'm going this way with things because my wife and I have been searching high and low for about 2 years for a home and have become frustrated with not being able to find the one we want. Sorry but if we're going to be in debt for 30 years, we want something exactly to our liking. So when we crunched the numbers, having a new house built to our specs isn't too much more than if we buy one on the market. We met with the builders and we have pretty much everything decided on with the exception of insulation. It gets cold here in PA and we are challenged with the decision to either have spray foam or the pink fiberglass blanket insulation.

Anyone on here been in a home with both? Is the spray foam better and does it insulate the walls more instead of the pink stuff? We are definitely having the attic spray foamed between the floor and wall slabs. It's just a matter of doing one or the other through out the rest of the house. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Much more difficult to fish wires through the foam than the pink fiberglass. I know nothing other than that.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^this!

Maintenance is the problem with spray foam. If you ever wanted to repair rodent damage or upgrade your infrastructure, you're going to pay more and it will be more difficult with foam in place. Loose fiberglass is a hassle if you have to deal with it too, but at least you can push through it pretty easy.

Also consider radiant barriers especially for the roof or attic floor surface.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Make sure it insulate every wall, interior as well, the floors, and radiant barrier the roof. It makes a huge difference. I even insulated the exterior walls of my garage and my garage is several degrees cooler than my neighbors.

Going custom is the best way to go since all houses have gone to being 5' between your neighbor and no yards. I don't know why people pay so much for this.

Be sure you go through an extensive checklist of the things you want. Be sure you're getting 20a in the garage and install a dedicated 220v there as well. Plugs in the eaves for lights. Check the garage and driveway width. Exterior lights where you want them. Run communications EVERYWHERE.

Also, make sure you paint the garage floor right away. Any stains will need to be cleaned up and takes work. So the sooner you do it, the easier the job will be.