Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Split topic: people visiting outside of texas

Old 03-07-2006, 05:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Thanks everyone!!! I'm loving the rims more and more everyday. Especially since it cured the steering wheel vibration from the last set of unbalanced tires. lmao.gif

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Mar 6 2006, 08:30 PM)
Word, stop thinking up excuses NOT to come and get your ass out here, along with LONG.

9hrs school + 40hrs work = no travel
And what's your excuse? We've already got 25 definate Tibs showing up to our Texas Mega Meet. More will sign up at the gate.
Oh, that's right, it's at a race track to ourselves, not a "show", so your not interested. owned.gif
Old 03-07-2006, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Eh? I go to the racetrack here all the time.

I'll make it to one of these big meets in Texas, just need a few months advance notice to make sure I keep the funds handy.

As for your schedule, take some goddamn time off. You are talking like 1 day for travel, maybe each way. 2 days off.

You can do it, I know you can.

LOL

Like ABQElantra's wedding, I made it to that, it was a 6 hour drive each way, but I had notice.

As for THIS Texas meet, it's the weekend after NOPI, and I can't make it there. I have to go to NOPI to promote the site and the brand, and try to get us more MFR's.

Oh that's right, you can't do that at the Texas meet.

lmao.gif owned.gif cool.gif
Old 03-07-2006, 07:54 AM

1. I gave everyone 4 months notice. There's no excuse. If you or someone WANTED to come, then they would.

2. Don't complain about money. It costs everyone $20 and gas. Which is what you pay at tracks, except you get a private one to yourself this time. Even better huh?

3. We already have manufacturers sponsoring our "little" meet including HYUNDAI USA, AEM, DC Sports, Nitrous Express, Turbo Wax, Wolfe Racing, BassTib STS, Audiobahn.
They donated CAI's, an NX kit, an STS, power boosters, etc. All of which will be given away.

4. If we get something like 50 people, then the sponsors will continue to sponsor us from now on. So we need a lot of people to attend THIS TIME.

try to get us more MFR's.
Oh that's right, you can't do that at the Texas meet.
TRY to get sponsors???? Well, we already did. Not only that, but they gave us some expensive products. And if it continues to stay big, then more will follow. So I'd like to see you TRY and get sponsors at your "general" car show.

6. If it had its own site, would that make it an important enough meet for you? http://www.hyundaimegameet.com/

But whatever, it's not important to come this year.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 AM

Woah woah woah hippy, I was just playin with you, don't get so defensive! See the smileys up above?

QUOTE (JonGTR @ Mar 7 2006, 07:54 AM)
1. I gave everyone 4 months notice. There's no excuse. If you or someone WANTED to come, then they would.

First I remember (READ: REMEMBER) seeing it was that thread in mid January. I'd allready committed to NOPI in Phoenix at that time bro.

2. Don't complain about money. It costs everyone $20 and gas. Which is what you pay at tracks, except you get a private one to yourself this time. Even better huh?

I'm not complaining, I'm stating I won't have the money. I'm going to Phoenix for 3 days, hotel, kid and wife, gas, all that, and unfortunately the VA only pays me on the first, so all we will have if my wife's paycheck to go on, and my son's birthday is this weekend, so it'll be a bit tight.

You are right about the track, that's what we have been wanting to do HERE at the BBQ, but I'll be damned if we can get any of the TX folks to come out here for the big meet.

3. We already have manufacturers sponsoring our "little" meet including HYUNDAI USA, AEM, DC Sports, Nitrous Express, Turbo Wax, Wolfe Racing, BassTib STS, Audiobahn.

That's awesome, but has nothing to do with what I was talking about. NOPI has lots of sponsors too.

4. If we get something like 50 people, then the sponsors will continue to sponsor us from now on. So we need a lot of people to attend THIS TIME.

Damn, I really wish I could make it out...

5. TRY to get sponsors???? Well, we already did. Not only that, but they gave us some expensive products. And if it continues to stay big, then more will follow. So I'd like to see you TRY and get sponsors at your "general" car show.

No one said anything about sponsors man. I mean, at least I didn't. I said that I go to NOPI to get us more MFR's to make parts for us. That's what Java and I did at NOPI last year, got some good contacts and such. As for sponsors, we did have sponsors for NOPI. NOPI for one, they gave us a $3000 vendor space and free entry and such to the event with vendors passes. If you look at the banner we had too, we had a LOT of sponsors on there.

Brings up an idea, how many RD's are going to be there? I can send you the RDTiburon.com banner for the show if you want, you can block off an area on the back (You'll see when you get it) and they can all sign it.

6. If it had its own site, would that make it an important enough meet for you? http://www.hyundaimegameet.com/
But whatever, it's not important to come this year.

Now that hurt jon. I didn't say it wasn't important, and I wish I could make it. I'll check out that site later when I get home.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:45 AM

I'm not really getting personally defensive, but I am getting defensive about the meet because I don't want anyone downplaying it. It's a big deal to us.
Manufacturers and sponsors are the same. I don't see your difference.
NOPI has sponsors, correct, but YOU don't (as of right now anyways).
You may be going to look for manufacturers, but honestly, you don't have anything to back it up with when doing the hunting/recruiting (other than maybe a # of members on paper). We have 25 Tibs and 30+ people so far willing to meet up and race. Now when the sponsors see this, they know what they are getting into. We plan to give them all a video with us racing and showing off our performance side, which is what our aftermarket is lacking. And most of our sponsors are performance oriented. So they could care less about a bunch of Tibs in a parking lot at a car show. They want to see us using their parts and putting down numbers with them. And seeing 50+ Tibs shows how much of a demand there is in the Hyundai sector.
I don't expect you to come, but it IS well worth it if you choose to.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:41 PM

QUOTE (JonGTR @ Mar 7 2006, 11:45 AM)
I'm not really getting personally defensive, but I am getting defensive about the meet because I don't want anyone downplaying it.

No one downplayed it at all.

Manufacturers and sponsors are the same. I don't see your difference.

Big difference. A sponsor puts up money or parts to either help out a tuner, or to raffle off. A manufacturer (how I was talking) is someone that is WILLING to take on Hyundai as a project.

NOPI has sponsors, correct, but YOU don't (as of right now anyways).

I don't want any sponsors for myself personally. I am the US Admin of Kspec.com , and that's enough for me. Technically, I am a sponsored car for Kspec. As for the SITE, we have several sponsors. Check the vendors section. They give items to the site, some money now and then, and help out in other ways with discounts and such.

You may be going to look for manufacturers, but honestly, you don't have anything to back it up with when doing the hunting/recruiting (other than maybe a # of members on paper).

LMAO. Is that what you seriously think Jon? You are wrong. I have lots of stuff. Like at the Nopi Nationals, we had 3 members of the site there and got a story about us done. We had a full vendors booth, you'll see where it was when I put up the scans of the NOPI magazines. That's where I met Turbowax and began a friendship and working relationship with them. That's where we met several other companies for wholeselling products and making new ones for us. I also have a very professional looking COTM/COTY/Event binder with real pictures (Not PC prints) of each COTM, and of all of our events, such as the ABQ BBQ's on display. I've got some nice literature on the site, such as a large blown up foam mounted copy of our writeup in Sport Compact Car. Business cards, flyers, we were one of the BEST represented sites/clubs at the NOPI in that manner, getting more members there now is the key.

Again, I wish I could come, but hopefully I can next year. Let me know about 6 months ahead of time, maybe you can add Kspec.com to that sponsor list for the show/meet.

Don't forget, I like the performance side of it just as much, as I'm building my car slowly and paying attention to all of you guys. It would just be nice to see the TX folks participate in the other meets and shows across the southwest, south, or anywhere else.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:00 PM

I'm gonna end this off topic conversation by stating that it takes 6-8 hours in ANY direction to get out of Texas from where I'm sitting. You can't say that for ANY other state other than Alaska. So you can't expect Texans to travel to other states for one day of fun. You're asking them to travel 1/4 of the country.
We never expected people to come here from other states, but they're coming from LA. and KS.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:08 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

man im even thinkin of goin to visit you guys...

not soon but sometime in the near future i wanna meet jon guilty and long

maybe sometime next spring ill take a drive down there but thats offtopic

man your gonna need some new tires soon lol
Old 03-07-2006, 09:22 PM

QUOTE (JonGTR @ Mar 7 2006, 09:00 PM)
I'm gonna end this off topic conversation by stating that it takes 6-8 hours in ANY direction to get out of Texas from where I'm sitting. You can't say that for ANY other state other than Alaska. So you can't expect Texans to travel to other states for one day of fun. You're asking them to travel 1/4 of the country.
We never expected people to come here from other states, but they're coming from LA. and KS.

Hah, Vegas is 6 hours, done that 2 times, Phoenix is 6 hours...

LOL

As for the others, Hillary came out here from Kansas, 12 hour drive.

It gets done.

Regardless, we are both working for the betterment of our species, let's keep that up. We will meet up sooner or later, just don't want you missin out on the balloon fiesta.

BTW, it's a 3 day event when we do the BBQ.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:39 AM

It's not that I don't want to go anywhere. I've driven to El Paso several times (8hrs), and Dallas too (6hrs). But right now, I just don't have the time at all, and when I do, I go to my GF's parents (El Paso). The meets needs to be planned over the summer, or during the Christmas holidays for me to attend them. Every time you've had a meet, it's been during a school semester. If anyone here knows about studying college Architecture, then you will completely understand that there's no possible way to sacrifice a weekend during the semester. And a weekday? Bwahahahaa, GTFO!!! We have most of our meets during the mid-summer.

I'm really trying to get my car nice and purdy so I can show the major manufacturers that there are some nice and well modified Tibs out there that need help. We're also hoping to make a really nice video since quite a few are bringing vid recorders. We might try and make it presentable/official.