Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

speed limits and accidents...

Old 02-11-2005, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed limits and accidents...

enjoy!

http://www.motorists.com/pressreleases/montana.html
Old 02-11-2005, 08:36 AM

Goes to show once again how stupid the american (and government in general) is.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:59 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

yep ive heard that before.. good story
Old 02-11-2005, 09:18 AM

i wish NY would do this. I could tell a cop to fvck off if he pulls me over for speeding.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I am still trying to figure out how his data works for him. If anything is shows the change is not significant, but his percentages are definitally padded. The highway fatality is higher with no speed limit. The bottom two charts do not show conclusive evidence, for they exclude "with speed limit" data.

I personally think the speed limit should be raised, but his evidence does not prove the facts in my opinion.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Personally I think most accidents with no drugs/alcohol involved happen at lower speeds where people begin to drift off and not pay attention. When your going slightly faster, you pay a lot more attention to what is going on around you.

Getting pulled over for speeding has helped solve many crimes though... lots of criminals get caught in another state speeding, get pulled over, and then end up getting caught.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:38 PM

Germany has the Autobauhn (however you spell it) with no speed limit and they have fewer fatal car accidents then the American highway system. It's just here, people have the freedom to change lanes which actually causes more accidents then high speed driving. In Germany, you can go as fast as you want only in the fast lane. In the slow lane, you cannot drive faster then a certain speed and is strictly enforced..unlike here where old people are allowed to drive like snails.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:45 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

This artical is very true, but it'll never happen nation-wide. States and local counties need their money and speeding tickets are a good source of revenue....I'd know because I recently contributed THREE times to my local county funds (only one for speeding though, the other two were just plain unneccesary....)