Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Are some people truly better off being single for life?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon
Default Are some people truly better off being single for life?

I have never been one to be in-and-out of relationships quickly. I can count the 'serious' relationships I have been in on one hand - the longest of which lasted just over a year. My first one was at 18, I was a few years older before the next one, and several more years between the last two - the last of those just recently ending.

I have never searched out romantic relationships, they just seem to have happened. I don't feel any need or desire to get married or have kids. While I love how relationships feel, they also make me feel awkward in certain ways. Before this last one with my best female friend of many years, I kind of resigned myself to being single the rest of my life. I am ok with this, but the thought of getting old and dying alone terrifies me.

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that I grew up as an only child of a single parent who was rarely home (and when she was, she was drunk a lot of the time). For the most part, I feel like I raised myself. I never really had a lot of friends, but I usually seemed to have a few good, close friends. I'm just wondering how many others feel similarly.

I am always severely hurt, heartbroken, or whatever it is after getting out of a relationship. It takes me months if not a year or more to get to the point where I am not constantly thinking and crying about it. With as much as it hurts and as much as I make myself sick (literally) after a failed relationship, I really feel that they are just not worth it. Some say it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. I really feel the opposite though in that it is better to not have loved than to have to deal with the pain and heartbreak they cause when they fail.

I would agree that I just haven't found the right person yet who will not cause me pain. I don't know that I would ever find that person, and in the process of attempting to do so, I would probably find a lot more pain and grief and to me, its just not worth it.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

You need to go live in Europe. The solution to all of your problems are there. Everywhere. Literally. Only then will you understand.

Come back here pppshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I myself am happily single, maybe thats because I was in a 13 year long relationship. The freedom tastes so sweet.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:32 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

The grass is always greener on the other side. If you come across the right person, your paragraphs would all be about how great love is.