Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

SoCal Warning

Old 03-23-2003, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SoCal Warning

Just to let you all SoCal owners know. Buddy of mine got pulled over by CHP for no other reason to check under hood of his car. When CHP ask for his CARB number for the turbo he had none so they took picture of his engine bay and wrote him up a fix it ticket. The reason they stopped him nice fat intercooler in front his car is lowered and body kit.
So I posted something before about this that SoCal police are cracking down on modded cars.
Hopefully Alpine can hurry up with my tuning and get me a CARB number. LOL
Old 03-23-2003, 02:51 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

yea here in pa i got pulled over just for putting a muffler on my car...no other mods but got a 104 dollar fine for just a muffler
Old 03-23-2003, 03:14 AM

Damn, and I thought Hawaii had mod-nazi-gestapo type police. All we have to do here is get our modifications inspected and a nice little "R" applied next to the regular inspection sticker.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Hootie:
Damn, and I thought Hawaii had mod-nazi-gestapo type police. All we have to do here is get our modifications inspected and a nice little "R" applied next to the regular inspection sticker.
What does the R stand for?

- Ricer?
- Racer?

lol j/k tongue.gif
Old 03-23-2003, 09:42 AM

HaHa Hootie has a Type R Hyundai lol
Old 03-23-2003, 11:26 AM

Visionz:
Hootie:
What does the R stand for?

- Ricer?
- Racer?

lol j/k tongue.gif
R = RECON. Short for RECONSTRUCTION. If you don't have that little "R" affixed to your bumper, it's an open invitation to the local jack-booted thugs to pull you over.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

They took a photo of his engine bay? The CHP? What did they do? Whip out an instant camera?
The CHP has pulled people over before on pretty thin grounds, But I've never heard of them using cameras. Why the photo? What purpose does it serve?

I've also heard of them seting up roadside testing stations and pull over "probable offenders".

"Probable offenders" means any modified car, and any car in "apparent bad condition".

Last time I heard they did this, they did it about 2 miles away from the Pomona Fairplex the day of a big import show. They setup right on the 60 freeway. They pulled over 60+ cars, but only handed out 14 tickets. (other cars had legal mods, or no mods)
Old 03-23-2003, 01:17 PM

most 2 door modified automobiles are profiled and watched....they dont always take pictures..however there is a chp division that only fills out reports of what kind of car, in detail with every modification...they goto school for it and know there shtuff

Drew

(my uncle is captain of vetura county highway patrol)
Old 03-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

why do they take the pictures? What purpose do they serve?
Old 03-23-2003, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

In all reality he probably took it because he liked the way the car looked and wanted to mod his at home the same. You'd be suprised some of the stunts the Po Po will pull to be funny and keep themselfs entertained. You've seen Super Troopers right?

Not to far from the truth.

wink

Hell, last year in New Mexico the ABQ Police landed a helicopter in the parking lot of a Circle K to get some doughnuts. Those guys got in BIG trouble for that. But how many times did they do it and NOT get in trouble?