Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

So My Buddy's Leasing A 2008 Slk 280

Old 06-28-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Pony

That exact colour.

The DBW is terrible, there's SUCH a delay between the engine's pickup and pedal input it's so gradual too, there's no way you can peel out from a standstill by mashing the gas: Nay, by the time the pedal hits the ground, the car STARTS to move forward, slowly, as if the throttle is opening up a little at a time: GAY!

If left to it's devices, the 7spd auto is terrible: the lag to downshift is quite bad, and especially if it has to shift down multiple gears (it will not skip them, it will partially engage them, and do so until the right one is found, by that time, it will actually have to UPSHIFT), however, the tiptronic works very well. Also, once you get that engine revving, it goes HARD, and the suspension is just great. The exhaust note is really nice too.

Other than that, stupid plastic cover on the engine is a pita (all new cars are guilty of this - Did martha stewart decorate in there? Looks like a shitty saturn under there, plastic EVERYWHERE!) The convertible top opens with ease, but there's about 40 motors for every little thing: Somehting's gonna break! Judging by the no less than one million controls for every little thing (even a neck warmer!), there's about 4 miles of copper inbetween the tight, refined interior.

I'd never get one, even if I could afford it with the ease of purchasing another Pony (not so easy actually): Impractical, 20 MPG, no back seat, too low (can't be seen by other cars easily), and hard to maintain... I'd opt for a crossfire before this car if I had to.

What I particularily hate was the DBW: It was so bad! WHo the HELL decided it was a good idea to change a simple braided steel line with an rotary pulse generator, more wiring, semiconductors to do the "math", a stepper motor, and more sensors along the way? Why f*** with something that works? Let's just add more parts that can (and probably will) break/wear out.

DBW is idiotic. There's NO benefits to it

Old 06-28-2008, 06:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Looks pretty, but I guess it stops there...
DBW = Drive By Wire??
Old 06-29-2008, 07:47 AM

^yeah, drive by wire.

It's a status symbol, that's all. It's a "look at what I can afford" type of car. And he's the type of person that has money that he has no clue what to do with it, so he randomly goes and leases the flashiest car he can find. He is working downtown now, after all.

I give it 2 months before it's crashed in some way.

If I could ever afford something like that, I'd get something ridiculous and uncommon, like say, a Lotus, or the Evo MR.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

My explorer has throttle by wire too, but it's a 2004 and was the first year it came out. However, if I stomp it, it still chirps the tires, it only really sucks when you want to take off gradually, huge delay. Apparently the dealer can reflash the ecu and fix it. I'm surprised a benz has that problem though.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

SL 55 AMG 2007 full options ABC, lsd etc,etc

test drive that..

OMG