Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Smarty Jones

Old 06-04-2004, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Honda
Default going to court for my car.

I don't know about you guys but I love horse racing.

I'm too young to bet, but I'll watch any thoroughbred horse race.

That said, is anyone else excited for saturdays Belmont Stakes? Smarty Jones is the favorite, but Purge looks like it might give him a run. I've never seen a Triple Crown in my lifetime, and I sure would like this horse to be the first one I do see.

Am I the only one who's going to watch here?
Old 06-05-2004, 12:55 AM

No, you won't be the only one watching, I will be too. But, I don't enjoy the watching as much as the riding. I am waiting till graduation and then be buying a few of my own. Until then, I just get to watch on TV and ride other peoples.

Go Smarty!!!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:19 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I saw this briefly on TV. What's the deal with Smarty Jones?
Old 06-05-2004, 02:19 PM

Article on Smarty Jones

He has come out of obscurity and so far proven to be a "perfect" racing horse. This horse has had a difficult life and had gone through adversity to rise to the top of his game. The story has the same points that make any good movie about the american dream, but this one is real, and it is about a horse.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:00 PM

Java - It's a feel good story.

The owner had a stable of 20 horses and the trainer was murdered so he wanted to get out of racing. He sold all of his horses but two, one of them being Smarty. The trainer was virtually unknown and got a call asking if he wanted to train a horse. The jockey was riding $4,000 Claiming Races on unknown tracks. Smarty had fractured his skull, and when he did the trainer said, "Oh my God, this horse just killed itself." Smarty is also a fairly small horse, they just showed a comparison on TV, and he was tiny compared to Rock Hard Ten (the horse expected to give the best run for Smarty).

How favored is Smarty? A $2 win bet will only win around $2.40.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Cool, Very interesting. Never heard of him until yesterday.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:58 PM

Unfortunatley, he lost. It didn't appear as if the jockey was giving it his all, I don't know if he saw the competition coming up on the outside until it was too late.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:18 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

i read somethin on ESPN....maybe i read it wrong, but i guess the jockey pushed Smarty too hard in the first half mile or so, and by the time they got to the home stretch, Smarty had nothing left.

the jockey for the winning horse was kinda funny. he said "i'm sorry for winning" lol. because EVERYONE wanted Smarty to win. funny stuff

oh well. horse racing is like NASCAR. i don't get it. all they're doing is making left hand turns.... they should have a road course for the horses. throw in some right hand turns and such tongue.gif maybe a figure 8 track lol.gif
Old 06-05-2004, 08:09 PM

Default Miscellaneous Items for Sale(throttle bodies, injectors,etc)

I was so angry.

The problem was length, if the race was even a half furlong shorter Smarty would have won. It looked like when he put away Rock Hard Ten it was over, but that other horse just flew out of the turn.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i wanted the cracked out black horse that didnt want to race to win. definately exciting.