Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Shipping Car Companies?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

I sold the tibby to my father and am looking at getting a car shipped to me. Just wanted to know who you've used and a rough estimate of how far it was and the cost. I've already looked at a few companies but out here in dumb old barren land South Dakota, most shipping companies will take months to get the car here since they don't have many freight trucks go through. Any help would be great!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I don't have any experience with getting a car shipped, but if you're way out in the sticks you might be better off having it shipped to a major city and then picking it up and driving it home.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:55 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

try ohio auto transport
Old 03-31-2009, 07:22 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I can't remember who it was through but I just called a bunch of places in November and had my 98 Jeep Wrangler shipped from West Palm, FL to Northern Virginia (roughly 1000 miles) for a flat rate of $650. Other companies wanted $1000 or more but this place did it cheap, fast and with really great service.

Found it searching through old emails - http://shipcar.com/shipcar/home.html
Old 03-31-2009, 07:40 AM

QUOTE (mwood @ Mar 31 2009, 01:55 AM)
try ohio auto transport

That's the main company I just tried they want $900 for a flatbed open-ended trailer, with no insurance. Plus they said it could take weeks to months to get it moved since they don't have freight trucks come through very often. They are a no-go.

Thanks capn-tibs, I'm working on getting a quote right now.

It seems to look like a friend and I are just going to take my Yukon with a flatbed out and pick it up, shouldn't cost us more than about $300 or so. Still open for shipping companies however.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:26 PM

Try UShip.com

Where is it coming from?

I haul cars for supplemental income.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:49 PM

I just tried you uship.com, they also said $900, but they would just be shipping it to minneapolis, so I would still be driving 5 hours to go pick it up there.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:22 PM

Uship.com takes time...
It isn't a one price works type of site.

It is a bunch of independant (like me) and professional transporters that place bids on which ever shipsments they want to try to take.
It operates like eBay only backwards (eBay owned; at least it was). Each transporter places a bid on your shipment. Obviously the lower price bids are the best deal for your shipment. The transporters have feedback so you can see who you are dealing with.

I bought another Duster today down in Indianapolis, IN. I will be going down Saturday and picking it up. My trailer will be empty going down, so I will go on Uship and see if any loads need to go that way (or close to that way). I can move their item(s), I prefer vehicles, save them some money pay for the trip down (or most of it) and everyone is happy.

As you know there probably aren't all that many shipments in your area. however you never know when someone will be coming through with an empty trailer.

You also list a target price (though it should be reasonable to get any results) and can also counteroffer a bid if they are close and you feel like negotiating. Some of the professional transporters wont budge on price but most transporters will.
Just don't expect someone to transport your car for less then the price of fuel.

Good Luck!

What is the year/make/model of the vehicle are you trying to ship?
What are the zipcodes of the pick-up & destination?
Old 03-31-2009, 03:36 PM

QUOTE (daniel_depetro @ Mar 31 2009, 05:22 PM)
As you know there probably aren't all that many shipments in your area.
[/b]

That's my problem, it's not something where I have time to just sit and wait for someone to head my way. I understand how Uship.com works however I also know the price to have something pulled out here privately. My chance of getting a good offer in a decent amount of time is very slim.

I would rather drive out there myself and know that I can get the car back on my own time and also not have to worry about damage.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:41 PM

Alright