Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Senior Prom Story

Old 05-21-2006, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Felt you guys would enjoy laughing at me at the moment, as everyone else is probably LOL. Might be a bit long read, but I guarantee you won't feel as bad as I did today.

First off, I was following her to her house on Thursday (two days before) and I go to engine brake into a curve, and the car doesn't slow down. I go to slow down to turn into her driveway, and the car bounces to redline when the car is supposed to idle. Get off the car, confused, looking for vaccuum leaks or something, I have no tools on me, 25 miles from my shop. Confused, I start it out in 3rd gear, probably launching it @ 4000RPM (my clutch was probably not happy). When I let off the throttle on the way home, the car accelerated on its own, like I was at 25% throttle. Very scary, first time I've worn a seatbealt on rural roads in a while. Get home, turns out the idle screw was closed all the way, it must have rattled itself shut after I had adjusted it after the BBTB/Air-Ram install, took several days for it to do that. So FYI right there, those who install aftermarket TBs make sure to tighten that screw down, put a lock washer on it, something.

Skipping ahead a bit, the plan was to take the Corvette to the prom. Went by there Friday (day before) and checked tire pressure/lights/etc. Started it up, and the gas was old in it, I had filled it with 93 octane about six months before, and it hadn't been started all winter, but at that time it started fine. I left it running for five minutes, the idle was a little low, so I bumped that up a bit.

Saturday (day of Prom) I go fetch the car, clean it, etc. Idle is still a little rough, but OK. Figure once I run through this tank of gas it'll be fine. I go to pick her up. Give her the corsage, we go to leave, and my car decides not to start on me, right in front of her family. Seems I've hit the baddest of the bad gas in the tank. Partially my own fault as I slightly flooded it, but under normal circumstances it would have started. Had to wait 10 minutes to finally get it running.

We go to eat, I park the car. Come out after I eat, my old friend the Corvette won't start at all. Call my Dad, he manages to get it to start after a good while, he drives me over to my Tiburon.

Driving over to prom in the Tiburon now. I feel slightly better as I played around with a V8 Chrysler 300C and pulled fairly even with it, it got the jump on me from its nice powerband, but it was pretty darn even to top of 2nd gear. Keep that story to a minimum.

Feeling good, I pull into the parking lot. I hear a loud clu-clunk. Get out, and I have, for some unknown reason to me, ran over my AEM intake. How, I do not know. The couplers were tight, I always make sure of that. The intake sits well away from the tire. Maybe a clamp gave out on me, I do not know. Either way, my intake was bent all the way around my tire, pressed into the fender well. A friend's dad had a truck with some tools in it, and we tryed prying it out with big ass wrenches, drilling holes in it to weaken it, etc. Personally I think AEM should give me a free one because he said he was going to buy one for his truck because it was so strong. Took a good twenty minutes to pry it out. He lived maybe a quarter mile away, but it was too far to get his hydraulic jack out of his garage because traffic was so bad. So after much yanking, and me hoping my fender, sideskirt, and wheel wouldn't get damaged, we got it out. Tire is good, as I drove home on it, but I have to look at the fender and sideskirt tomorrow. His drill slipped on the intake, which I can see as its aluminum, slick, and rounded, and nicked the inner edge of my fender, but I'm fine with that. Was glad to have someone help me out.

So, we got to prom about hour and half late. Rather eventful Senior prom eh? owned.gif
Old 05-21-2006, 01:03 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WTF LOL.... dude, i think AEM intended those to go on with a splash shield in place... did you have it there? How do you run over your CAI?????

I've never heard of a eventfull prom like that. Man all the bad luck all at once.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:07 AM

Splash shield was there... well its not there anymore obviously, I had to tear it all off. I have no idea how in the hell it happened myself. The way the intake is routed, I have a hard enough time wiggling it lose to take it off to clean it, etc. let alone it falling the right way to get run over by a wheel.

I even had the little nut/rubber piece that holds the filter in place at the bottom attached as well. I'm pretty sure that got ripped off as well. Its the wierdest thing thats happened to any of my cars. I'm praying my IAT didn't get ripped off, I don't know that at the moment.

First time I have absolutely no idea how it happened. My guess is the coupler popped off, it wiggled the little nut loose, then it managed to wiggle itself down past the tranny, get caught, get run over, tear my fender well to pieces, and wrap itself around the tire.

FYI, this happened @ 10:30PM, so Autozone/Advanced Auto were closed, and I had to drive it around a good ways without a filter. I was not a happy camper.

Almost hit two deer on the way home as well. That would've really put an end to my night if I had hit those little bastards.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:17 AM

Dude that really sucks! I hope you at least got a little sumptin', sumptin' smile.gif
Old 05-21-2006, 07:04 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

suckage!! 02.gif
Old 05-21-2006, 08:43 AM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

So all of this was before prom actually started...what happened at the end of the night?
Old 05-21-2006, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: tiburon 1998

^^ ditto.

Damn man. Your day sucked BIG time!!
oh, well, if my theory of things getting even from time to time, go ahead and drive your broken tib and get a lottery ticket. fing02.gif
Old 05-21-2006, 10:40 AM

Wow, that really sucks! Seems like you rain into all sorts of bad luck then.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:56 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

BWA HA HA HAAAAAA HA HA HAWWWWWWWW!

ya i enjoyed laughin at ya, good stuff.

now you know why people rent limo's. wink1.gif
Old 05-21-2006, 11:37 AM

Ye, I see that. But ye, needless to say my date didn't know whether to feel sorry for me, or be pissed at me. So pretty much struck out there too. lmao.gif