Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

School - Online MBA

Old 12-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default School - Online MBA

I'm looking into pursuing my MBA. I'm sort of typing this all out to get my thoughts in one cohesive post.

Trevecca Nazarene University - $27,500 - MBA-IT degree

This is a local private university. I transferred from UT Knoxville and completed my undergrad here. The professors are greats, many people in Nashville get their MBA here, and they have an MBA-IT program that will have local CIOs contributing to the courses. It's one night per week for 3 hours, for 2 years. It's a big commitment; I'd prefer something on-line rather than sitting in a class for 3 hours EVERY WEEK - at night - for two years.

The University is known in Nashville, but beyond that nobody would recognize it. I don't plan on leaving Nashville, and this is really the only small university I'd consider. If I don't get it here, it will be from a well known reputable university (Penn, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, etc.)

Auburn University - $668/credit hour - I can get an MBA in 54 hours ($36,000) and they ALSO offer a dual degree option where I can earn an MBA (Master's in Business Administration) AND M.S. in IS (Master's of Science in Information Systems) in only 66 hours ($44,000) by overlapping courses. That's two degrees for $22,000 each - unbelievable deal. It's a reputable university, well known, and in the SEC. It's online so it's easier to go at my own pace, but damn it's expensive.

Getting a Master's degree is such a huge financial commitment. It will pay off in the long run, I'm sure. With another 30+ years of work ahead of me, an extra $1,500/yr on my salary for having a (or 2) graduate degrees seems quite plausible. It'll also help me to move up faster and attain higher positions in the future. The up-front cost just really scares me.

If anyone else is aware of distance education opportunities where I can pursue an MBA at a reasonable cost (haha - under $40,000?) I'm open to suggestions. However, I'd like to keep it somewhat close to TN so in 10 years when someone sees "Auburn University" on my resume, they will assume I was actually there and it wasn't online. Sometimes people downplay an online degree, hence why it needs to be reputable.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

Im an undergrad student at East Carolina and I know they have a great online MBA program. You should check it out, I think its around $800 dollars per credit hour for non-NC residents, so its right around your price level.