Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Scc Mag And The Tiburon

Old 05-22-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw this in the latest issue of SCC its in response to an e-mail or something from a reader. Thought I would shared it with you guys.

QUOTE ("SCC MAG")
I'm trying to decide what my first car whould be. The people on the Sport Compact Car message boards recommend a Hyundai Tiburon. What are your thoughts on this car? Could you tell me what your number one choice for a first car would be? I've been a reader of your magazine for a while and always read it from cover to cover.
Richard Johnson
El Monte, Calif.

There's nothing shockingly wrong with a Hyundai Tiburon, but there are a few things to consider.
First ,while there is an aftermarket, it isn't very big. You don't have a lot of choices when it comes to making it faster.
Second, while the iron-block 2.0 liter Hyundai Beta engine is quite stout, it isn't very powerful. You can turbocharge the piss out of it and it probably won't break (the twin-engine Tiburon we tested way back in February 2002 made more than 315 hp at the wheels with each engine, both of which were internally stock), but with this being your first car, a home-brew turbo might not be the best plan. The V6 model is a nice all-around car.
Third, and this might be the most important point, it's your first car. Your first car leaves an indelible mark on your soul. My first car was a Datsun 510 and I will forever be a 510 guy. Lucky for me, this put me in very good company, Josh Jacquot, on the other hand, started his automotive life in an Opel GT. Commendably funky, but being an Opel guy isnt easy.
So consider carefully if you're willing to go through life as a Hyundai guy. It would be a lot easier to modify just about any Honda, but everyone loves to hate Honda guys these days.
Miatas are brillian first cars if you aren't homophobic. The balanced, neutral handling and mild power can teach you great driving skills, which I'm sure you need more than you're willing to admit.
A first generation Sentra SE-R is also a very stong choice, though its resemblance to a 510 could make me biased.

weew now that im done typing that I think I'll go wash my car.
Hope you enjoy
Old 05-22-2005, 03:16 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Sweet, we can turbocharge the piss out of our cars now. I'll tell you what. We need to get that damned McIntyre Tib out of everyones eyes. Whenever they hear fast Tiburon that damn thing comes back to haunt us. I love it but I mean c'mon we're generalized by one car.

I hereby vow to have my car in SCC by next year.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Thats a pretty positive write up on the tib, it is a nice first car, I love it and now I am going to find it in the magazine laugh.gif
Old 05-22-2005, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

QUOTE (silvertibbs @ May 22 2005, 10:16 PM)
Sweet, we can turbocharge the piss out of our cars now. I'll tell you what. We need to get that damned McIntyre Tib out of everyones eyes. Whenever they hear fast Tiburon that damn thing comes back to haunt us. I love it but I mean c'mon we're generalized by one car.

I hereby vow to have my car in SCC by next year.

Ima hold ya to that silver! B)
Old 05-22-2005, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

i couldve sworen ive heard of tibs above 317whp.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:18 PM

heh... I am responsible for that comment. I am on SCCs forum as well, when the kid came looking for a good and decent first car to work on, but did not want a honda, I jumped in to talk up the Tiburon for it's decent power, great looks, and reliability. Others jumped in and only encouraged... they are a good bunch over there, not that unlike those here. If anything, they dislike trolls even more than we do, but they have no moderators to get rid of them.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Good job Mad. tongue.gif

At least that mag has an intelligent editor.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:48 PM

Now it does.. Josh has has his hands full righting more than a few wrongs done to SCC over the years under Coleman's guidance.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:53 PM

It's very good to hear that more and more positive things are being written and said about Hyundais. It's only going to get better..
Old 05-22-2005, 06:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ May 22 2005, 06:48 PM)
Now it does.. Josh has has his hands full righting more than a few wrongs done to SCC over the years under Coleman's guidance.

wasnt oldham the previous editor?

either way, i like the change. the past couple months issues on suspension tech have been GREAT.