Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Saw one of these today....

Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track
Default Saw one of these today....

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/09/u...2d2-mailboxes/

Who knew the United States Postal Service could feel the Force? In honor of Star Wars' 30th anniversary, these kick-ass R2D2-wrapped mailboxes will be replacing the old boring ones in post offices across the nation. Star Wars lovers / haters can say whatever they like -- we're just glad this has nothing to do with Jar Jar Binks.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Sweet
Old 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

people still mail letters?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Hello USPS? Did you forget you're bleeding billions of dollars a year? TAXPAYER dollars, at that, and then you go do something like this? Boo. Boo, I say.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Meh. Think of it like an advertising campaign for USPS. It's actually very smart and could bring lots extra sales, especially in the holidays.

They need to do something to bring back the business, if this is what it takes, then so be it.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by Stocker
Hello USPS? Did you forget you're bleeding billions of dollars a year? TAXPAYER dollars, at that, and then you go do something like this? Boo. Boo, I say.

I was just going to say... "Waits for some conservative whacko to complain about wasteful spending"... but you beat me to it.

jiFfM.jpg
Old 10-30-2013, 12:01 PM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Originally Posted by Tibbi
Meh. Think of it like an advertising campaign for USPS. It's actually very smart and could bring lots extra sales, especially in the holidays.

They need to do something to bring back the business, if this is what it takes, then so be it.

Exactly. They have an advertising budget, this probably came form that. Show a few less commercials, a few more R2D2s.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

you know what would be even better for their bottom line? If Congress would let them stop delivering on Saturdays.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I actually disagree there. Now mind you, if they killed first class delivery on Saturdays and kept express and priority I would be fine with the decision, but killing Saturday altogether delivery hurts customer confidence. That's arguably going to do more damage, forcing people to use private parcel services. Privatized services should be incentive for USPS to survive, not punishment for failure. There s no reason the 2 can't coexist and work in tandem.

The problem with killing USPS altogether is rural delivery. Many of the large private entities do not offer extreme rural service and out source delivery via USPS. So in that instance the option that helps keep the privatized versions costs low would be eliminated. USPS needs the competition to keep from becoming a fed owned monopoly, but the private parcels need USPS to keep costs down.

The proposed solution is what you see above. It's arguably an expensive option, but the Star Wars franchise is the largest cult following out there. And with the internet explosion it's going to prove fruitful. Plus, all the royalties paid to Lucas/Disney become taxable income. SO pretty much the govt is all . It's a total win-win.