Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Rustoleum EPOXYShield Garage floor paint/epoxy

Old 05-17-2004, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used this on their garage floor yet?

I helped my father-in-law do his floor with it Friday and dayum!
Nice epoxy coated floor, reflects light, easier to clean and resists oil and other fluids.

Has anyone used this yet? If so, any cons that you can think of? I want to do my garage with it soon, I just was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has had it on their floor for a while. From the looks of his floor I wouldn't think there could be any cons.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:55 PM

Did you degrease the floor and use muratic acid first?
We are in the process of doing mine now.....not with Rustoleum though.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:00 PM

#1 was it etched first?? by etching i mean CLEANED THOUROUGHLY w/ ACID. If not, as nice as it may look, don't expect it to last very long.

I work for a painting company and from what i've gotten from our operations manager 1, its a PITA to do, 2, results have been varied on the garage floors hes done.

And this is with COMMERCIAL GRADE (think parking garages) garage floor epoxy's, not the CONSUMER STUFF like it seems you used.

yes it will be easier to clean and will resist some chemicals.

but again if the concrete was not prepped, not only cleaned, but cleaned thouroughly, acid etched, and rinsed COMPLETELY, don't expect it to last more than 3 years (if it makes it that long)

Now, i have not personally seen an epoxied garage floor like you are talking about (except parking garages) but the above was testimonial from someone who's been painting for 20+ years.

I hope it lasts for you (and your FIL) if you really want to do it, i'd have to say give your FIL's a couple of months use first, and see how it holds up.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:52 PM

It comes with everything you need, and acid based rinse that you use to scrub down the floor with. Muratic acid is too strong for the average homeowner, it can make smooth concrete rough, not something you want to epoxy over. I think the acid wash it comes with is citric. It takes two kits to do a two car garage, so we actually went overboard and washed it twice. You can't even compare this stuff to commercial grade. Think about it for a second, commercial grade takes a lot more abuse in one day than a 2 car garage that houses a Z06 and a Hyundai Accent ever will. It's not exposed to rain, UV, chemical fallout and a$$holes on a daily basis.

As for oil or anything, both his house and mine are almost two years old, not an oil stain on them. We are going to take a little extra time to make sure it gets prepped good though.
This wasn't much of a PITA, just paint it on medium thick with a roller, cut in on your edges and don't run your roller too dry.

I know it's not going to last forever and that's not my expectation of it. It's been out for a year or two now and I was hoping someone here had used it when it first came out so they can comment on how it's held up. If I can get 7 to 10 years out of it then I will be happy with it. I don't plan on living in this house for any longer than that.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:35 PM

OK, sounds like you guys did it right.

BTW, was it a epoxy??? epoxy is usually at least 2 parts. and your description about rolling it on was a little vague. makes it sound more like paint (which btw should also be etched b4 application)
Old 05-17-2004, 09:59 PM

Not really sure if it's a true epoxy, but you have to dump a can of clear sh!t in to the larger can of gray sh!t. It's THICK, but low in odor. It took a lot longer to dry than paint does. It was still tacky enough to leave a fingerprint in over hour later. Check it out net time you're in Lowes/Home Depot.