Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Rotation Of Slotted Rotors

Old 05-09-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I just got my new d/s rotors today,going to install them in the morning.My big question is,while driving forward and you apply the break does the leading edge of the slot on the rotor enter the brake pad from the out side of the rotor and run towards the hub,or from the inside of the rotor and run up to the outside of the rotor.I checked a few pics and have seen most are from the outside and run towards the hub.I hope I explained it good enough.Bottom line is,I don't want to put the drivers rotor on the passenger side,or visa versa.Larrs
Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 PM

I'm not 100% certain about this, but for slots, I don't beleive it makes any difference with way they are oriented. They're job is to clean up the pads of the gases and bounding compound the pads will produce in high heat situation or heavy braking. As long as they keep the contact surface clean that what maters most.

The first thing to check is if the manufacturer as identify the disk himself, some will engrave the side directly on the disk or write it on the box : passenger and driver side. If nothing is writen anyware, I would personnaly install them so that the slot on the rotor enter the brake pad from the out side of the rotor and run towards the hub. Since the outer edge of the rotor is where the most of heat will build up, this way would clean it quicker.

It's a bit the same with drilled disk, different companys have diffrent views. For exemple, Brembo makes the drilled disk with the first hole on the outer edge, going inward to the hub, they say it brings more air to cool the disk. But I've had disks myself that where installed the other way around.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:50 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

slots are designed to remove dust. You want the slot to go from the center outwards.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 PM

Swirl towards the back. The ones I have are not a simple slot but a swirl. This is how Ive done it and I had some labeled once driver and passenger and were like this.
Maybe this works: That should be looking at the rotor

Driver side:

/
l

Passenger

\
|
Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

yah thats correct /\

For a better visual this is the drivers side.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:37 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ I have the same rotors! R1FTW

I just realized that this is in Ask majik, LOL, I think that obligates majikTib to write at least a paragraph about the science behind the centrifugal force pushing the brake dust through the slots, and how the faster moving air around the outside of the wheel rim creates a vacuum, so if you install the rotors so that the slots are channeled inwards it counteracts the vacuum effect which can only be rectified by either flopping the rotors around, or installing an extra pully on your engine to add a rudimentary leaf blower for each wheel to remove the brake dust.

majik, ready? Go!
Old 05-10-2008, 06:32 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well majik is more of the business guru. So i'd think it'd have to be how these rotors might impress your boss enough to land you that promotion that will give you more money to fix your credit and also put that down payment on that "diamond in the rough" house that you plan on buying and fixing up in your spare time.