Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Road Rash?

Old 07-04-2008, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Accent
Default Road Rash?

So my buddy has owned a 2005 600RR for about 2 1/2 years and has NEVER changed the oil. I finally went over to his house to show him how to do it. (I've own about 7 different crotch rockets) So, the oil filter was almost siezed on the block. We has to jam a screwdriver through the damn thing after the oil filter wrench stripped. After topping the oil off, I took it out to warm it up and make sure the oil is at the right level. All is good. He then tells me, I can take it out for the day. Sounds like fun. I go on a little road trip to my friend's lake house and hung out for a little bit. Went down the interstate hitting some corners and ALMOST kneeing the corners (not leathers, I'm not going to get too crazy). A friend calls and wants to meet up. On my way to their house I turn down a back street when the rear tire just starts spinning out of control. I let off the gas and there's still smoke coming from the rear of the bike! The bike is sliding all over the road. I turn off the engine thinking the motor just blew... I start coasting down this hill at about 45 mph but every time I hit the FRONT brakes, the weight of the rear end just slides out again. I end up going almost 5-6 blocks down this hill before finally stopping. Turned out, I should've been the guy to tighten the drain plug as well. It came completely out after 2 hours of riding. Luckily, NOT in one of those corners. The bike is back in its home (his garage) and will be topped off again tomorrow with a new plug. Now I get to be the lucky one to wear off the oil from the tires! sad.gif

Wish me luck!
Old 07-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That's a close one. Good luck with that and be careful.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

That's one way to get your heart pumping! I prefer a scary movie personally, lol. Good luck with the oil.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:48 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

That could have ended really bad. Take it easy.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:52 PM

Vehicle: 02 accent

That's scary. I'd make him drive the oil off the tire, since he forgot to tighten the plug. (Made that mistake myself, though, on a car.)

The only reason your tire should be smoking is this:

Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Accent

All is good... After a long day hunting down a m12x1.5x15 bolt to fit the oil plug (since Honda is 2 weeks out on order for the actual drain plug) I got some new HP4MR synthetic oil, filled 'er up, gave 'er a bath and spend about 5 hours on the roads around Nebraska and Iowa on Saturday. Tires are holding up well, even all the way to the end, "Peg Strape"!!!!